More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15218 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight

come on guys u didnt miss it again :lol:

Nothing in Dublin :)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15219 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight
yea i think it was only up north and we caught the tail end of it, nothing here now but were going out to the country when things kick off again

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15220 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight
I guess you will be doing an all nighter so...enjoy..

Cheers
Trevor

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15222 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight
Yep.
So how was it from your side?
Didn't notice a lot happening up until midnight.
Though as Seanie said it was a lovely moon. 8)

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15227 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight
The display seen from here was first spotted at 22.53LT and was not bright at all. In fact it needed very good dark adaption to detect visually
. I could see a 60 * long green band very low along the NW to N sky sector and a maximum of 10* high. Tha camera caught the auroras fainter extensions. We ended up doing an all night watch from the country however the north was badly blocked by clouds for most of the night. We used the quiet moments to take exposures of the sky, through the Cygnus milkyway and of M31 (3 - 5 mins ) which was great fun from an excellent dark site. We spotted 10 meteors (most where Perseids) seen a pre dawn passage of the ISS. Orion and Canis Minor rose nicely in the east and Saturn plus Mercury looked like two golden gems in the NE. We even managaed to squeeze in some deep sky observing with the 8" and had a look at Uranus. We ended the session after 05.00LT

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 3 weeks ago #15228 by Conor
Replied by Conor on topic Re: Maby another Aurora tonight
started 11pm .Last night after we had spotted the aurora we went out to the country to get better images away from the lights. Mars and the moon looked great! We went out about 1/2 mile and pitched in a field but the north was very cloudy low down and it wasnt for moving. I decided to take a few exposures of the sky as it was so clean, in the middle of a 3min exposures 2 Perseid meteors zipped buy just missing the FOV. As we watched the stars of Orion rising we made our way back half and stopped hoping to image m42 but as usual the clouds were there too. The sky was looking great and the Aurora had gone, but the clouds in the north were looking very greeny but the camera was picking up nothing. As we headed for home at 4:00am we talked about how successful the night. When we reached home i headed in a went stright on the computer to check the latest updates. I could nearly have cried the Aurora was picking up again and dawn was near. I quickly turned off the computer and put on all my wet clothes again and ran out to the pitch where Martin was hoping to catch something before dawn. Orion was very high now and i could see m42 but the sky was too bright to pick up any color. There was nothing there again. In the east we could Saturn rising beautifully and Mecury sitting below it. The time was running headed and we headed for home at 5:05am after 7hours observing :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

Time to create page: 0.121 seconds