K-Tec

2005 Irish Astronomy Astronomer of the Year

More
18 years 8 months ago #21437 by martinastro
Replied by martinastro on topic Re: 2005 Irish Astronomy Astronomer of the Year
It sure would Dave and you are the man thats getting the ball rolling..historic really!

Do keep me informed of your progress!

Thanks again Dave :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 8 months ago #21443 by eansbro
Congratulations! Martin, well deserved. Your dedication to observing and reporting the results reminds me of Leslie Pelteir, the famous comet hunter back 70 years ago. I remember reading his autobiography 'Starlight Nights', this was so much richness in his observing. His passion was so boundless in deep sky observing, his spiritual and poetic recall of what he observed those nights reminded me of you and your connection to the stars.

Basically you are demonstrating the spirit of what amateur astronomy
is all about, and that is what is needed for all of us.

Another book that reminds me of your awareness of the cosmos is 'The Universe Story' by Father Thomas Berry. This is a book that is immensely thought- provoking and really it is a hymm to the natural world and its beauty.

It goes through the many aspects of astronomical objects but from a completely different approach that you never read in any astronomy books. It demonstrates how it is so important that every human should have developed an AWE of the UNIVERSE that leads to this spiritual awareness that is enough to end our plundering and exploitation of the planet; a tragedy more prevalent in the West where we live amid limitless junk

Thanks for sharing all your sky explorations and we all look forward to future story's of the sky yet to come

Have a GREAT NEW YEAR OBSERVING and CLEAR SKIES

Eamonn A

• albertw
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Secretary
  • IFAS Secretary
More
18 years 8 months ago #21444 by albertw

Well done martin!I'd swear you live on that gaelic pitch thats always in you aurora photos! :lol:

I'm noticing a pattern to who gets this award ;-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
18 years 8 months ago #21445 by martinastro
Thanks very much Eamonn for the detailed reply and for mentioning that second book which i have not read before. Starlight Nights is a great read and i shy with the comparison to Leslie whom im sure is a mentor to all of us.

Thanks again Eamonn :D

Martin Mc Kenna

coruscations attending the whole length of the luminosity, giving to the phenomena the aspect of a wrathful messenger, and not that of a tranquil body pursuing a harmless course..comet of 1680

More
18 years 8 months ago #21450 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: 2005 Irish Astronomy Astronomer of the Year

aurora photos

. . . you just said the magic words Al! What'll we do when the North Magnetic Pole migrates over to Siberia :(

I'm sure I could resurrect my slides of the October 2003 aurora in 2053 when I've my grandchild on my knee and . . . "T'was a night like no other, and the solar wind was howling through the inner Solar System . . . "

have a good weekend all,

John

More
18 years 8 months ago #21451 by martinastro
LOL..nice one John :D

Martin Mc Kenna

Time to create page: 0.103 seconds