Keeping fit

• Euronymous
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 7 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #60718 by Euronymous
Keeping fit was created by Euronymous
To try to tie this in with astronomy (or is this also an offtopic board).. Telescopes can be heavy. Being in good shape is to your advantage.
What do fellow Irish astronomers to do keep fit?
Surprisingly enough, playing guitar for a couple of hours per day helps keep the arms fit. And of course carrying a telescope up a hill every night.

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by Euronymous.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #60720 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Keeping fit
Hmmm, I eat well and smoke less than I used to. I just got a bike and have been known to cycle to Tesco rather than use the car...

I walk a lot as part of my job and when working in town, revert to public transport. That said, I probably drive for upwards of 30 hourse per week - using my hands to steer the vehicle and gesticulating at other road users (nothing rude of course...). I guess clutch work and accelerator usage on the M50 keeps both legs pretty active and using the handbrake constantly keeps the left arm in good shape. The right arm is used for aforementioned gesticulations as well as drinking tea and wine (not whilst driving of course).

When not driving, I would of course use both arms to smoke, eat and perform other functions. Does this class as weightlifting? I am after all lifting a mass against the effects of gravity...

When observing, I do this remotely from the PC so once more, lots of uypper body exercise. The whole body gets good exercise when removing and replacing the RORO observatory as well as taking off the 'scope cap and attaching the dewshield. Various electrical items need to be switched on too. And I usually have to dodge the dog whilst doing this.

I think I get a pretty good daily workout then!

I'd love to do Judo or similar - for those times on the M50 when tempers fray...

More
16 years 7 months ago #60722 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Keeping fit
AWESOME! If you ever get bored of your hobby, you have a bright future doing stand-up comedy. :!:

Oh, by the way, I am referring to Dave. As for our other friend, I am surprised he finds time, any time, for astronomy.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• Euronymous
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
16 years 7 months ago #60723 by Euronymous
Replied by Euronymous on topic Re: Keeping fit

Hmmm, I eat well and smoke less than I used to. I just got a bike and have been known to cycle to Tesco rather than use the car...

I walk a lot as part of my job and when working in town, revert to public transport. That said, I probably drive for upwards of 30 hourse per week - using my hands to steer the vehicle and gesticulating at other road users (nothing rude of course...). I guess clutch work and accelerator usage on the M50 keeps both legs pretty active and using the handbrake constantly keeps the left arm in good shape. The right arm is used for aforementioned gesticulations as well as drinking tea and wine (not whilst driving of course).

When not driving, I would of course use both arms to smoke, eat and perform other functions. Does this class as weightlifting? I am after all lifting a mass against the effects of gravity...

When observing, I do this remotely from the PC so once more, lots of uypper body exercise. The whole body gets good exercise when removing and replacing the RORO observatory as well as taking off the 'scope cap and attaching the dewshield. Various electrical items need to be switched on too. And I usually have to dodge the dog whilst doing this.

I think I get a pretty good daily workout then!

I'd love to do Judo or similar - for those times on the M50 when tempers fray...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Celestron C8-N (200mm reflector)
Carl Zeiss 10x50's
-Amateur Astronomer, photographer, guitarist, and beer drinker-

More
16 years 7 months ago #60725 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Keeping fit

And surprisingly enough, playing guitar for a couple of hours per day helps keep the arms fit.

Thanks be to God that you have a full picture posted. If you're ever on the M50 I'll either give you a wide berth or smile and wave politely - even if you cut me up. Looking at those arms :shock: , I could quite easily imagine you seperating my head from the rest of my body in a nanosecond if I were to gesticulate any kind of mispleasure... :cry:

What do you drive? :?

More
16 years 7 months ago #60726 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Keeping fit

What do you drive? :?

What do you drive, SIR? :?

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds