K-Tec

do you pay tax on items from overseas that are 2nd hand/

More
16 years 4 months ago #67514 by phoenix

You must declare anything you bought in the USA to Irish Customs & Excise (at the airport) by going through the red channel and declaring those goods.

Dave since most flights direct from this island to the US are from the Republic what do you do at Irish customs if you are from NI. You are still in transit and the gear will not reside in the Republic but ultimately in the UK?

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67516 by michaeloconnell

Dave since most flights direct from this island to the US are from the Republic what do you do at Irish customs if you are from NI. You are still in transit and the gear will not reside in the Republic but ultimately in the UK?

You shut an airport in the south and bring all it's flights to the north...
Oh, I see you've already done that!
:P

More
16 years 4 months ago #67517 by dave_lillis
:lol: :lol:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 4 months ago #67518 by phoenix
Michael I had no control on that one mate. Do you really think I need more dam planes flying overhead when I am imaging? :lol: At peak times I get a plane every few mins.

I just wondered what Irish customs would say if I got caught in the green channel?

My answer ' I will declare it at the UK border' but I have a nasty feeeling it may be the first port of call into the EU.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 4 months ago #67519 by DaveGrennan
Kieran,

Actually, your supposed to declare the goods at the point of entry to the EU, no matter what country that is. You pay the VAT and excise of that country and then you can travel onward within the EU.

BTW guys my last comment was part in jest but it just needs reminding that these are public boards and could be viewed by anyone including those responsible for enforcing the rules.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 4 months ago #67524 by Seanie_Morris

Should we really be discussing on a public board, ways and means to defraud the revenue commissioners?

BTW guys my last comment was part in jest but it just needs reminding that these are public boards and could be viewed by anyone including those responsible for enforcing the rules.

Was also thinking aout that, but in my opinion, it's nothing new the ways to get stuff past customs on normal everyday goods. Now, if we were talking about drugs and firearms... ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds