K-Tec

do you pay tax on items from overseas that are 2nd hand/

More
16 years 4 months ago #67550 by JohnMurphy
Sod 'em all - I say!

In this year (2008) - we have what is called a global economy (allegedly). Except if sod1 from countryA wants to buy from sod2 from countryB.
If Free Market Economics is to prevail then sod1 should pay taxes in the state that he has purchased and NO MORE. If state B doesn't like it then let market forces dictate. Maybe if taxes in state A are reduced then it will be more economically feasible for sod1 to buy things he needs at home rather than going abroad. Governments need to wake up to the global economy and people need to SPEAK UP and dictate to their government what we demand. After all WE, THE PEOPLE, ARE THE GOVERNMENT (not the civil servants and muppet politicians WE elect).

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67585 by dmcdona
I had a conversation a few years back with a customs official. I was enquiring as to the cost of importation - he told me and I lamented the exhorbitant cost - his reply "sure, that's why everybody flies over and back without declaring it".

Additionally, last year (I think) there was a major ad campaign warning people that their limit on "gifts" bought outside the EU was something like 120 quid. THe ads were aimed at those doing their pre-xmas shopping in the USA. Of course, C&E warned folks that ports of entry would be watched. They stopped and gave precisely three travelllers a hard time over the entire Xmas period...

Of course, I have stated previously, if you have goods bought outside the EU worth more than the 100 or so quid you are allowed (excluding ciggies, alcohol, perfume etc) you must declare them by going through the red channel.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67598 by ayiomamitis
I no read englisch ... me also caleur blinde. :mrgreen:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
16 years 4 months ago #67649 by Seanie_Morris

Red looks blue to me each time too! ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67688 by stepryan

and how much have you consumed to reach this state? :wink: .

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds