K-Tec

How do you access this site?

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 4 months ago #67899 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: How do you access this site?
Bart - I apologise if I caused offence but you left that one wide open.

Albert - why are you so against this? All I am arguing is that 200k is too small a limit for images - You claim it is to the detriment of dial up users. I claim it is to the detriment of broadband users who I believe are the vast majority. I therefore try to determine how many dial up users we have, Bart tries to interfere by claiming he is a dial up user, but as he says himself he is mostly broadband - I point that out and now you want to censor me????? Go ahead. I doubt that you will let this post stand.

I am an ardent supporter of these board and I really do appreciate the work done by all moderators and webmaster. When I see something wrong though I will shout.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #67906 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: How do you access this site?
John - I use broadband exclusively - at least until we move to the West :wink:

I think it is important to understand that the image-posting rules are constructed to allow users of dial-up still have a reasonable "experience" when using this site.

So, if you keep images below the regulation size, we can be all-inclusive irrespective of how users connect.

If you have a whopper of an image however, you can still legitimately post a URL pointing to it, along with a warning to dial-up users that its a monster image...

Dave

More
16 years 4 months ago #67907 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re: How do you access this site?
Although I use Broadband, it is *frequently* slower than my old dial-up connection. The reason? High contention on my line and the fact that I'm right at the outer limit of the Broadband service for my area. Eircom sold me the connection, only guaranteeing 1Mbit/s - the line *rarely* achieves this data rate.

But even if I had a faster connection I would still be against allowing very large images to be posted up without constraint because those images would only get bigger and bigger over time (as CCDs get bigger and cheaper!) and would slow everything down again.

There is no need to upload mega images or data to the boards. A separate link/URL to the data is more than sufficient.

Phil
(in the slow lane of life!)

More
16 years 4 months ago #67910 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: How do you access this site?
John, please just work with the rules. If it turns out that 200k is affecting image quality we'll look at it again.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #67912 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: How do you access this site?

Eircom sold me the connection, only guaranteeing 1Mbit/s - the line *rarely* achieves this data rate.

Similar for me. I'm on a 2M line, anything higher than that simply does not work. Rates are usually around 1M and even depend on the weather!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 4 months ago #67913 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: How do you access this site?
I use both connections, though primarily a 2Mb connection. When I have had to use a dial-up ISP, it has been frustrating for me, and reminds me of the days of waiting 2 hours to download an MP3!

:D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds