K-Tec

Fireball biggest i have ever seen observed at 12:28am

More
19 years 7 months ago #9063 by dave_lillis
Hi Conor,
The fact that it was overcast seems to indicate to me that it was lightning.
You can get lightning that never reaches the ground, but then again you might be right given all the meteor reports receintly.
I would need to be an extra-massive explosion to be seen through clouds.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 7 months ago #9073 by Conor
Nobody said it exploded! And we do what 11years old experience together as you may well know. Im an not saying your totally wrong and im right but the statics prove us right! as there was only lightning strike over northern ireland on sat night and it as you may know hit that mans house at 1:00am. But we seen our fireball at 12:28am..so that rules that out. The sonic Boom was heard 1min after the flash so that would mean the lightning was over 12miles away but the flash was over head?
all sorts of lightning was talked about on the ukww ball lightning and many other solutions but it just didnt match what we seen! and as you may know there was fireball activity on saturday night and we seen one !

:D :D :D

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
19 years 7 months ago #9076 by jhonan

And we do what 11years old experience together as you may well know.

Sorry, I dont know.

as there was only lightning strike over northern ireland on sat night and it as you may know hit that mans house at 1:00am. But we seen our fireball at 12:28am..so that rules that out.

Half an hour before the other lightning strike? - If the weather conditions were right for lightning in your area on Saturday night, then I wouldn't be so quick to rule out lightning as the cause.

In everything like this, you need to keep an open mind as to what all the possible causes might have been. And then by a process of elimination reach the most likely cause.

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

More
19 years 7 months ago #9079 by dave_lillis
Either way Conor, it looks like that you've seen a fairly spectacular event.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• Conor
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
19 years 7 months ago #9086 by Conor
yes i suppose u are right :D
Well mabey we will never know what it really was but i am open to opinons :wink:

Moderator of Photography Forum:

www.freeimagebrowser.com/gallery/index.php

More
19 years 7 months ago #9109 by Seanie_Morris

yes i suppose u are right :D
Well mabey we will never know what it really was but i am open to opinons :wink:

Thats all we're asking Conor! You gotta keep an open mind! For instance, most here who would disagree that you saw a fireball (or more professionally known as a Bolide for you 11 year olds! :D ) would base their opinions on the fact that they have seen them (many?) times before. To make certain it was a fireball event, even with cloud cover, there should be a consistent movement of the light, perhaps a fizzy tail seen through the cloud depending on how thick cloud cover is, and of course, other people who saw it over a larger area. If you see my post here about the double fireball I saw on Saturday night, no one else has seen it. BUT, I know it was a fireball because I have seen them about 7 or 8 times before, and of the conditions I saw those 2. Therefore, I can rule out lightning, fireworks, UFO's and the like!

:D

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds