K-Tec

Whirlpool Star Party 2007

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52047 by donalmcnamara
Replied by donalmcnamara on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
Thanks for a great weekend and thanks especially to all who let me peek through their fine scopes for the viewing session.

Donal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52074 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
I'm glad I was able to help with the sound system, Frank.
I know how important it was to make sure that the weekend speakers were clearly heard, and it shows that us Nordies aren't all useless!!!!

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52077 by iridium.flare
Replied by iridium.flare on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
I also thought it was a fantastic weekend, even if I couldn't stay for the observing. All the speakers were brilliant - especially Chris Lintott I thought. Plus I was pretty delighted to get an autographed copy of Bang as a reminder!

Thank you SAC! :D

By the by John, that is a really cool picture. I had a fairly extensive walk around the Demense myself but didn't come across that little waterfall. I reckon you'd need a whole day in the place to see it all!

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52083 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
Now that I got abit more sleep I feel my memory coming back, so I'd like to say thanks to Deirdre for bringing "Sputnik" along and to Iveragh Mosaics, Armagh Observatory, North Down Telescopes (Andy McCrea) and Capewise instruments and anyone else I forgot.
Fair play Eamonn for helping us with the sound system, since its 12 months since we used it, it was a learning curve for us all over again.

I really enjoyed the observing at the castle on both nights and glad everyone had a good look at the variety of scopes on offer, there were 2x20", 2x16", 1x12" and a number of 10, 8 and 6 inch scopes.
Incase you're not included here, I didn't get a chance to see all of the scopes as I wasn't able to leave my own unattended and have a walk around.
Thanks to everyone who brought their scopes, it really makes the evening super special and really adds to the atmosphere!.

John, I'm glad you enjoyed the view through the obsessionator, I was personally surprised by the view of Mars through it given the altitude, it was the first time I saw Mars with that scope.
Here is a representation of Mars given by Mars PreviewerII for the time we were observing it
farm3.static.flickr.com/2317/1517397529_a813996f84_o.jpg

We definitely saw that band going across the planet and I'm certain we saw Syrtis Major (the purple area on the image) and a big polar cap at the bottom (north). I cant wait to try this with colour filters to help reduce the glare. I guess higher altitudes in the sky will help us see more as the winter comes on.
BTW, Frank, this is one planet we'll just have to give a go with the webcam next time we're at a club observing session with the 20".

The high amount of dewy haze/fog really made the light pollution worse then it is normally, I suppose the 3 months of solid rain we had is still evaporating. :?

I'm already looking forward to WSP 2008!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52092 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
Have to say that this was my first Star Party and it was great. Got to match a lot of faces to names. Despite the less than perfect conditions the observing sessions were great especially when you heard the voices of Sue French and Chris Lintot in the background as you observed.

I finally got to look through the Obsessionator starting with M15 and despite Dave complaining about the conditions I could have sworn I was looking at M13. When Dave pointed the scope at the Veil WOW.

Michael's homemade 16 inch dob is a masterpiece of engineering which came complete with a travelling work shop for modifications and I am sure Dave Lillis has recovered the use of his hands after collimation :lol:

Congrats to all at SAC.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 2 weeks ago #52097 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: Whirlpool Star Party 2007
I can only reiterate what has already been said.
A fab. weekend all round.
Only sorry I wasn't around for the late nite views through those brill scopes. :cry:

Well done all involved. :D

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds