K-Tec

COSMOS 2008 - April 4th to 6th at Annaharvey Farm

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 7 months ago #65091 by Seanie_Morris
As it is getting close to Irelands Spring Star Party, I think it is about time you get to know what it is all about.

Having begun as the Irish Astrofest in the Spring of 1992 with the Irish Astronomical Society, its aim was to complement the only other Irish star party at the time, Whirlpool, each Autumn. Since 1995, TAS continued on its own, and with the inauguration of our Observing Site in 1998, the event was relocated from Tullamore town centre to Annaharvey, 4 miles from the town centre. This new rebirth also gave it a new name, that of COSMOS.

If you have not visited before, but plan to, you are in for a treat. The two and a half day programme includes renowned speakers at all levels of expertise, catering for the beginner amateur astronomer right up to the serious enthusiast. Interspersed with tea/coffee breaks, lunches, and exhibits, there is also a Table Quiz on Saturday afternoon, astro buy and sell, Cosmic Dinner on Saturday night, Observing sessions weather permitting, and even a raffle for some great prizes.

Speakers for 2008 include:
Mr. Pat O'Neil, Irish Astronomical Association
Dr. David Asher, Armagh Observatory
Mr. Trevor O'Donoghue, Kerry Astronomy Club
Prof. John Zarnecki, Open University, UK
Mr. Albert White, South Dublin Astronomy Society & ILPAC
Dr. Miruna Popescu, Armagh Observatory
Mr. John Lally, Tullamore Astronomical Society

From the TAS website:
COSMOS 2008 page with directions and more.
Accommodation list of B&B's in the area.

Details as they become available will be posted here. You can ask questions too. See www.tullamoreastronomy.com for some more information as we get it.

Clear Skies,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 7 months ago #65092 by johnflannery
don't forget the horse-riding Seanie :shock:

many thanks for the talk in Dunsink last night ... it certainly sparked plenty of discussion afterwards :)

atb,

John

More
16 years 7 months ago #65103 by Frank Ryan
Lookin good!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• Seanie_Morris
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 7 months ago #65112 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: COSMOS 2008 - April 4th to 6th at Annaharvey Farm

don't forget the horse-riding Seanie :shock:

John,
I have 'that' photo of you in your horse riding championship attire. I also found one of Cosmos 2002 where David Bell, Terry Mosely, and I won Bob's Impossible Quiz, and not knowing what the prize was, were glammed up for some horse riding also.

Them were the days...

:D

P.S. and of course, I'll put those pictures up here soon for all to see.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 7 months ago #65146 by jhoare
Is Annaharvey Farm where the Ploughing Championships were held last year, or close to it?

I prefer to go through Rathangan, Clonbullogue and Daingean when I'm heading from Kildare to Tullamore rather than taking the Portarlington route - fewer traffic choke points.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 7 months ago #65147 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: COSMOS 2008 - April 4th to 6th at Annaharvey Farm

Is Annaharvey Farm where the Ploughing Championships were held last year, or close to it?

Same place John. No need for wellies this time. :wink:

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds