K-Tec

Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers Asteroid 2008 US3

• Andreas
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #74040 by Andreas
Folks,

to make it short: Dave Grennan from Raheny Observatory (J41) recently discovered another asteroid just two weeks after Dave McDonald's discovery of 2008 TM9.

The new asteroid's provisional designation is 2008 US3 (K08U03S).

Dave will provide you with more detailed information soon.

Congratulations Dave,
Andreas (MPC Associate)
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by Andreas.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #74041 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re:Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers 2008 US3
Oh man, this is awesome!

Keep it going guys ... this is amazing and don't let it stop.

Congrats to my buddy Dave!!!!!!

Anthony.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• paulevans
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 years 11 months ago #74042 by paulevans
Replied by paulevans on topic Re:Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers 2008 US3
Wow! Amazing news, can't wait to hear the details : cheer:

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #74043 by dmcdona
This is truly incredible news, but to be perfectly honest, I'm not surprised.

Dave is an outstanding amateur astronomer and has been submitting quality data to the MPC for over a year now. Clearly, his perserverence and skill was more than enough to convince the IAU-MPC to designate his observatory - Raheny Observatory J41. All the more outstanding when you realise he's just a few meters from the Dart! So, whilst I'm not surprised that Dave's hard toil and graft has been recognised, I'm absolutely thrilled to bits for him and his family.

I have just gotten off the phone from John McConnell, a truly outstanding ambassador for amateur astronomy, and he is thrilled to bits too. And Dave was adamant that John was the first to know! John passes on his heartiest congratulations.

This year has been incredible for amateur astronomy in Ireland. I have wondered in recent weeks if the likes of Andrew Graham, Lord Rosse, William Rowan Hamilton and many others, are looking down and saying "about blooming time!". Perhaps this really is a time when Ireland is reminding everyone that it is once again contributing significantly to astronomy.

Dave - well done to you, well deserved and definately payback for all your hard work both at astrometry and in the wider field of astronomy in Ireland. Cheers!

The few details that I know are that 2008 US3 is currently in Pegasus and Dave took measurements on Tuesday and Thursday night (21st and 23rd October 2008). The MPC confirmed the discovery this afternoon, Saturday 25th. The asteroid is currently about mag 19.5.

Dave

p.s. Dave - you're gonna be asked loads of times - what are you going to name it!
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by dmcdona.

More
15 years 11 months ago - 15 years 11 months ago #74044 by phoenix
This is getting like public transport. You wait 160 years and two come along at the same time. Superb work Dave......God thats getting to sound so familiar

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/
Last edit: 15 years 11 months ago by phoenix.

More
15 years 11 months ago #74046 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers 2008 US3
Crikey! That's gas! :) Like buses! :)

Well done Dave!! Many congrats on behalf of IFAS! Great to see your hard work paying off!

I must go off and discover my own one now! :-)

Michael.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds