K-Tec

Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers Asteroid 2008 US3

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 11 months ago #74053 by DaveGrennan
In a word WOW :ohmy: I'm still in shock! Clearly this is a dream come true for any amateur astronomer.

Before I go any further I want to say that the credit for this discovery lies with others too. Obviously Dave McDonald for his inspiration help guidance and encouragement. Andreas Doppler for his expertise and guidance and patient checking. Without these guys this would not have been possible. To Carl O'Beirnes for lending me his C14 OTA without which a mag 19.5 discovery would definitely not have been possible. Just as important is all of you guys. We have an amazing group of amateur astronomers in this country everyone should take a bow.

Well I know very little about 2008 US3 at the moment. The discovery was at mag 19.5 in southern Pegasus. Its a main belt asteroid probably very similar in nature to 2008 TM9. I guess more info will be known when the MPC produce an orbit for it. The whole process became a bit scary to tell you the truth. Nothing happens simply in my life. The initial submission contained an erroroneous observation cause by the asteroid being too close to a star and subsequently offsetting its coordinates. Then when I resubmitted it there were e-mail issues. Thanks to Tim Spahr at the MPC for sorting these out. So this evening I came home to an e-mail confirming the discovery and the temporary designation.

As to naming this one, well when that happens (and it can take a while) I'll have to put a lot of thought into it. However the first thought that came to my mind was my late mum Catherine Grennan RIP (1939 - 2004). As a child she encouraged my interest in astronomy she and my dad bought me my first little telescope and astro books.

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes, more when I have it, and discovery image, (and stop shaking).

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 11 months ago #74054 by dmcdona
I was chatting to Dave over the last few days and especially the last 24 hours. It really was squeeky bum time as regards the data and email issues :laugh: and both myself and Fiona were crossing everything! But this was definately meant to be - it couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving and is justified payback for the blood, sweat and tears that Dave has put into it.

Carl - no - you don't get joint discovery just 'cos it was your 'scope :P

Dave

p.s. John Flannery sends on his best regards and heartiest congratulations!

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 11 months ago #74055 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Dave Grennan (J41 Raheny) discovers 2008 US3
Good grief !!! Holy mowly !! Fantastic work
Seems like the skies above Ireland are awash with asteroids.

Many many congratulations on your wonderful achievement.:woohoo:

Deirdre Kelleghan
PRO IFAS
President IAS

More
15 years 11 months ago #74057 by wellbuttie
Wow... well done Dave, yourself and Dave Mc. are an inpsiration to us all here in the Emerald Isle. Exceptional results, when you factor in the Weather here!!

BTW. I am now going to change my name to Dave B)

Steve Roche
"Technology is a way of organising the universe so that man doesn't have to experience it."
steviestargazer.ivisionireland.com
www.deiseastronomy.com
photo.ivisionireland.com

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 11 months ago #74058 by carlobeirnes
Dave,

What can I say I'm so thrilled for you.The last three days have been so exciting I never prayed for clear skies so much on Thursday night.All your hard work has paid off big time.
It's Very hard for me to put into words how I'm feeling right now. All I can say is your Mother is smiling down on you.

Carl.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
15 years 11 months ago #74059 by eansbro
Dave,

This is so exciting news. Congratulations! Another record
for Irish astronomy.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds