K-Tec

Burren Starparty 26th Sept 2009

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #78427 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re:Burren Starparty 26th Sept 2009
The Knightrider Light is just a bit of craic that'll only ever get switched on with the rest of the lights at Sidewalk astronomy or outreach events under streetlights where dark adaptation is not an issue. I just thought that I would point that out because one cannot assume that others see the joke or realise that I am not a moron astronomer with a death wish. :D

I actually have a practical use for the other running lights which will go on when I am breaking down the scope. No mishaps dismantling when I its lit up like a christmas tree. Why is this OK? Cause I am always the last person to say, "Think we'll call it a night lads" I am always last to pack up. Our Dublin lads don't seem to have the staying power of Dave and Frank with their dusk till dawn sessions. :D

As for the tent comment. Twas a bit of a joke in relation to the Burren, this being the Burren Starparty thread, but I did always wonder why Camping starparty events seem to be so common in the UK and US but I haven't heard of a single one in this country.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Calibos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 months ago #78429 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Burren Starparty 26th Sept 2009
Hi Calibos,
Dawn till dusk it'll be if the weather is good, for sure : cheer:
It might turn into a competition as to who can stay observing the longest. What do you think some German tourists reaction would be to seeing some weary looking people hanging out of telescopes at 10 in the morning pretending to to be interested in some solar observing :laugh: ;)

As for camping, all jokes aside, why not, if that's what you're into.
The only thing I'd say is that I'm usually cold/cool after a long night out so need a warm bed after it, I think someone would be calling an ambulance the next day to prize my frozen dead body out of the sleeping bag if I stayed in a tent.

As for booking a B&B in advance, its only so that you'd guaranteed a nearby location, otherwise you could end up staying a few miles out.
Bring the knightrider lights, man you just have to after so much discussion about them.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 4 months ago #78438 by Calibos
Dave_Lillis wrote:

Hi Calibos,
It might turn into a competition as to who can stay observing the longest. What do you think some German tourists reaction would be to seeing some weary looking people hanging out of telescopes at 10 in the morning pretending to to be interested in some solar observing :laugh: ;)

The only thing I'd say is that I'm usually cold/cool after a long night out so need a warm bed after it, I think someone would be calling an ambulance the next day to prize my frozen dead body out of the sleeping bag if I stayed in a tent.

As for booking a B&B in advance, its only so that you'd guaranteed a nearby location, otherwise you could end up staying a few miles out.
Bring the knightrider lights, man you just have to after so much discussion about them.

The irony Dave about my camping/tent questions and your comment, "Whatever you're into"...is.......

I've never been camping in me life!! LOL :D

Its just after reading all the camping starparty threads over on SGL, it sounds like great craic. Everyone stays together for a laugh and a chat even if its cloudy rather than retiring to separate B&B's. Theres no making your way back from a B&B if the skies clear and theres no sitting in your car if its too cold while the skies remain cloudy but you don't want to give up on the night just yet.

I dunno, sounds like a sociable alternative to meeting up at a sitefor the night but heading your separate ways after till the next night.

That said, having attended neither type of event. Never camped and haven't even made it to any Irish 'B&B' events yet, I'd probably end up eating my words and decide that I couldn't be dealing with that camping lark and would much prefer being tucked up in a nice cosy B&B bed at the end of the night. :D

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm

• johnomahony
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
15 years 4 months ago #78439 by johnomahony
Replied by johnomahony on topic Re:Burren Starparty 26th Sept 2009
Calibos wrote:

Dave_Lillis wrote:

Hi Calibos,

The irony Dave about my camping/tent questions and your comment, "Whatever you're into"...is.......

I've never been camping in me life!! LOL :D

Its just after reading all the camping starparty threads over on SGL, it sounds like great craic. Everyone stays together for a laugh and a chat even if its cloudy rather than retiring to separate B&B's. Theres no making your way back from a B&B if the skies clear and theres no sitting in your car if its too cold while the skies remain cloudy but you don't want to give up on the night just yet.

I dunno, sounds like a sociable alternative to meeting up at a sitefor the night but heading your separate ways after till the next night.

That said, having attended neither type of event. Never camped and haven't even made it to any Irish 'B&B' events yet, I'd probably end up eating my words and decide that I couldn't be dealing with that camping lark and would much prefer being tucked up in a nice cosy B&B bed at the end of the night. :D

And if the weather is seriously bad, there are a few good pubs in the village. It is quite lively on weekend nights.

The Lord giveth, the Revenue taketh away. (John 1:16)

www.flickr.com/photos/7703127@N07/

More
15 years 4 months ago #78441 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re:Burren Starparty 26th Sept 2009
I've camped in the Burren before (Fanore) during the winter and
Man let me tell you, if you don't have the right gear you will die - no joke.

Other than that, I'd seriously love to attend a camping style party here,
but we just don't get the weather!

Believe me, I've given it a lot of thought!
Here is a post I put on the SAC boards a few years back.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:08 am Post subject: Mobile observing!

Frank Ryan wrote: Oh my!
When the rain comes I spend time surfing the net
looking at what I could be up to if I lived in say....Nevada...

I have GOT to get me one of these!
(Beats driving home at 4 AM from the Burren)

If indeed I did live in the US I could easily say it'd be
me , jeep, obsession, astrotrac, DMK, garmin and a full tank + reserve heading in the direction of the desert!

Think I'll go to bed now so I can 'dream on' :roll:

Although I have to say,
if there was a hotel within an hours drive of where I was at
I'd stay there... you just can't beat a warm cozy bed after a long nights observing!

Mount Parnon was the ultimate in camping though as I'm sure the
two Daves, Mike & John will agree!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
15 years 4 months ago - 15 years 4 months ago #78445 by Calibos
Oh, I can definately understand why camping in combination with stargazing is so popular with our US cousins and Greek friends. Thats why I was so suprised to find how popular it was in the UK which has the same unreliable climate as us.

So either we Irish are 'soft' or maybe we just have more 'sense' than our UK neighbours. :D

Another thing is, like you said, if there is a B&B within an hours drive of a given observing site, that'd be the preferred option, and with Ireland being a more compact country, the chances are that there is indeed a B&B within less than an hours drive.

Keith D.

Nagler 31mm
Last edit: 15 years 4 months ago by Calibos.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds