• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 2 months ago #80505 by DeirdreKelleghan
Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro was created by DeirdreKelleghan

Introducing the next global public outreach astronomy project. Galilean Nights

Following the unprecedented success of IYA2009's 100 Hours of Astronomy ( www.100hoursofastronomy.org ), which featured hugely popular projects such as a Global Star Party, the live 24-hour webcast "Around the World in 80 Telescopes", a Science Centre webcast, Sun Day and 100 Hours of Remote Astronomy, another series of astronomy events has been highlighted for 22-24 October 2009. This new IYA2009 Cornerstone Project is called Galilean Nights and will see amateur and professional astronomers around the globe taking to the streets, pointing their telescopes to the wonders that Galileo observed 400 years ago.

The focus of the project is sidewalk observations of gas giant Jupiter and its moons, as well as allowing members of the public to observe the Sun, our own Moon and many more celestial marvels.

I have registered to take part in this cornerstone project on behalf of IFAS clubs.
I hope you will all join in across the country on one of the evenings at least . October 22nd, 23rd , 24th .

Venues , details , times et cetra to be announced as they are set up.

This will of course be a free public event.
Wicklow Mountains National Park are interested in Thursday October 22nd

Deirdre Kelleghan
Outreach Coordinator IFAS
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #80506 by Calibos
Sounds great Dee. Lets hope the weather Gods look favourably on us twice in the same year!! Thursday and Saturday back in April were spectacular nights in terms of Transparency and seeing.

It'll be great that Jupiter will be at a half decent altitude at a reasonable hour come October.

I think I'll do the same as April. Setup outside the shop for sidewalk astronomy on one of the nights and attend the Glendalough event on whatever day it ends up being held. Hopefully, this time I'll be more prepared with better handouts and actually remember to bring them out with me this time :blush: :laugh: and also swot up on some more facts about the targets so as to be able to answer all the questions that are thrown at me. I guessed a lot back in April :D Turns out I wasn't too far off with most of my answers, but still, I want to get them all right next time.

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
15 years 2 months ago #80510 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
This sounds like a fun event.

I would encourage all clubs to participate in this project. We have had a very successful IYA2009 thus far. Many events have taken place around the country (including NI and the aran islands) and it would be great if we can keep the momentum of that successful event going for future events, including this one. Thanks Dee for volunteering to co-ordinate this event for IFAS. I would like all particiapting clubs to discuss the event and send you their event details well in advance.

We will include this as one of the items on the agenda for the IFAS AGM at the Burren Star Party.

Regards & Thanks,

Michael.

More
15 years 1 month ago #80519 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
Thanks for the heads up Deirdre.
I'll suggest it to the club and see if we can do a repeat of the observing earlier on this year.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 1 month ago #81135 by nectarine
Hi Dee,
DAS had their first meeting of the season last night and we will definately be taking part in the Jupiter Watch 22 - 24th October. We are thinking of holding two events: one in Waterford City and one in Dungarvan.
Talk to you soon,
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 2 weeks ago #81529 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
I am delighted to see interest in Galilean Nights this second IYA Global Public Star Party .
Wicklow Mountains National Park have confirmed Thursday October 22nd. 7:30 pm - 9:30pm Upper Lake car park as usual and its free.

Our last major public outreach event 100 Hours of Astronomy brought amateur astronomers
in this country together to share the night sky with the public. What an incredible amount of public service astronomy
went on that week in April .

Midlands Astronomy Club, The Irish Astronomical Society, Shannonside Astronomy
Club, Kerry Astronomy Club, South Dublin Astronomical Society, The Irish Astronomical Association , Galway Astronomical Society , DEISE ,
Blackrock Castle Observatory , Dunsink Observatory , and individuals , Dara O'Maoidhia in Inis Mor, Denis Walshe in Cork, Keith Deveney in Bray. and Deirdre Kelleghan in Dublin City Libraries . Together we brought astronomy to the people, thereby fulfilling the ethos of International Year of Astronomy 2009.

We all learned from that very positive experience , and now we have the opportunity to to do it again and build on what we learned.

Let me know asap if you are taking part and what you intend to do in your area. No need to get complicated , just share the sky
in your neighbourhood .

I propose that one person from each participating club should be responsible for covering their events photographically
Data gathering should be a task set to another person , who should also take on the task of writing up a short report for IYA evaluation purposes.

Data required

Where is you event to be held
How many telescopes
How many people attended

Useful things you could do to enhance your report and gather feedback

Interview people attending , write it down
Interview people attending , use your mobile phone to record what they say
Interview people attending , use a video device to capture the atmosphere.

If it is raining , perhaps offer a talk on Jupiter and the Galilean Moons
or run a film on the subject for the public.

Useful things you could do to extend the experience for the attendees
Hand out leaflets about you club and what you do.
Take lists of e mail addresses so you can let your attendees know what is going on in astronomy in your area.

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Char IFAS
Outreach IFAS
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds