K-Tec

Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
15 years 1 week ago #81669 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
OK now there is a small balance left from the 100 Hours Fund.
It amounts to 50 euro per club under IFAS. You can spend your balance on Galilean Nights to help promote astronomy in your community. I know it is not a lot of money but something is better than nothing.

People who sent in receipts for 100 Hours will be reimbursed probably before the end of the year. All receipts for 100 Hours are now with Dr Mike Redfern .

If any club under IFAS avails of this remaining money for Galilean Nights you can only get it back if you keep a receipt and send it to me .

Galilean Nights is over three evenings ,October 22nd, 23rd and 24th so with a bit of luck the sky will be clear. Fingers crossed.

Please let me know asap what your club intends to do re showing our Moon , Jupiter and the Galilean moons on those evenings.
You can always plan an indoor event to cover for bad weather.

Deirdre Kelleghan

Vice Char IFAS
Outreach IFAS
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #81671 by dmcdona
Folks - please try to get something organised if you can. Some ideas for the money might be the ourchase of binoculars, perhaps payment for photocopying a public outreach leaflet for all attendees etc. There are many ideas.

There is a *little* flexibility in the approx 50 euro per club. If you submitted say a 60 euro receipt, that's not going to create any waves of course. Also, it depends on how many clubs avail of the offer. The less clubs, the more money for those that apply. Unfortunately, we don't know that in advance so we thought it best to be realistic and accurate.

Finally, please note the terms and conditions below (from Mike Redfern).

1. Only Events conforming to the terms and conditions of IYA2009-Ireland, below, can be funded and/or use the IYA2009 brand identity (logos etc.).
2. Equally, any events that we fund must be clearly identified as IYA2009 events.
3. Also, my University (NUI-Galway) is providing (at no cost to IYA2009) administration of the grant - this made DSE very happy, but we will have to abide by the NUI-Galway accounting rules (which are quite strict). So we will need receipts wherever possible, and they will certainly need a breakdown of the way the money is spent - however, they are reasonable people also.
4. The rules of IYA2009 insist that we keep a very careful record of the impact on members of the public - so some sort of questionnaire will be needed, giving numbers and response to the activity. These must be accurate numbers, that we can stand over.
5. You will have to look into public liability issues, if any exist, and agree to take responsibility in some way (your own PL insurance?) for these activities. The IYA2009-Ireland project cannot provide public liability insurance for any events that you organise.

In addition, as documentary proof, please do your utmost to get some images of your event and include the IFAS IYA2009 sticker (on a telescope, or board or whatever) in the shot.

Good luck!

Dave

More
15 years 1 week ago #81708 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
The club here has decided to run with the 3 day event.
www.irishastronomy.org/forum?func=view&catid=11&id=81706#81706
Its something we're going to try and do more often.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
15 years 1 week ago #81710 by dmcdona
That's great news Dave. I'll promote the event via my blog on discoversensors.ie.

Don't forget to figure out a way of using that money - a couple of pairs of binoculars etc...!

Cheers
Dave

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
More
15 years 1 week ago #81722 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic Re:Galilean Nights October Global Star Party Intro
Thanks David , I have registered Shannonside on the Galilean Nights page for your three night session for the event. The data will be added soon I guess.

If anyone else is doing something , perhaps you could state it here so I can grab the info for the registration. If what you do is not registered then it will not be counted in the data for the global event , even tho you will have gone and done something great .

www.galileannights.org/register_confirm.html

Deirdre Kelleghan
Vice Char IFAS
Outreach IFAS
www.irishastronomy.org/
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
twitter.com/skysketcher

More
15 years 1 week ago #81727 by nectarine
Hi Dee,
Deise Astronomy is holding two star parties on the same night.
One in the Peoples' Park in Waterford City (meet at the bandstand in the park from 8.00pm).
The other in Dungarvan Town, meet at the bandstand at The Lookout, also from 8.00pm
Both events will be held on Saturday 24th October.
Thanks & Best Regards,
Bernie

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds