K-Tec

Moon image with the lidl skylux.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20139 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
Hey, they've dropped a fiver since yesterday, they were £99.99!
Still got a long way to go to match Lidl. Did notice though that Lidl are not selling these in the U.K. (apart from Northern Ireland of course!)

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20142 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.

Did notice though that Lidl are not selling these in the U.K. (apart from Northern Ireland of course!)

Scratch that, they're on sales from Thursday 15th. No ETX though.

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20143 by spursdave
Replied by spursdave on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
I am new to the wonderful world of astronomy, but after looking at several websites and finally your review of the 'Skylux', I cannot wait
til Thursday when Lidl have them on sale for £49.99.
Thanks very much - Dave B

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
18 years 9 months ago #20201 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.

Dave,
I know what you're thinking, detail is lost using lower resolution, I did take a single image at higher resolution but seemed to made no differance, but remember I used low image size with "fine" detail.
I'll try again next time its clear and push it as high it will go, and let the public decide if its worth it.

You could look at it this way. By using a lower pixel resolution you are elimating the chance of getting the finiest detail that would show up on prints. Take for example my recent M31 image. (I know were talking about different subject matter but the principle still applies). On the full res image you can pinpoint individual globulars and open clusters within M31. That blew me away when I saw it first. You just cant see those in the lower res version. Similarly with your moon shot, those tiny litlle craters are just gonna get lost in the pixels.

I also try and keep images here below 100K, I dont want to be hogging the BW, I could slap up much bigger images which would show more detail, but I'd be hung from the beams. :wink:

Theres nothing to stop you posting a downsized version on the boards and then link to the hi-res version. BTW if you need somewhere to host your photos particularly hi-res ones (and this goes for any of the regular contributors to these boards) just drop me a pm, i'd be happy, in fact honoured to set you up with your own login and your own gallery.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #20206 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
Thanks for the offer Dave, when the new SAC site is ready, my images will be there, so this is a temporary problem for me.

I see what you're saying about the resolution, and you are right, to be honest it was more of a case of just taking a few pics casually, when I processed them later and saw what came out I did try going back out to the scope and re-taking them, but by then the fog had rolled in. :cry:
It was only meant to evaluate the chromatic abberation, not necessarily be a good image, if you know what I mean.

The one high res frame I did have is not enough to work with, it was only when I stacked the lower res images afterwards did the detail really come out.
Moral of the story, never use lower res again, no matter what!!

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #20234 by spursdave
Replied by spursdave on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
Baaaaaah!!!!!
Got to Lidls 9.15 all the telescopes(5 in total) SOLD OUT!!!!!!!
I'll just get the Blue Peter Annual and hope they can show me how to build one out of a Pringles container and a piece of plastic.

Cheers - Dave.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds