K-Tec

Moon image with the lidl skylux.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20019 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.

Clunk, thats the sound of my jaw hitting the floor after I slide the levels in registax :lol:
we need a new emoticon for that.

Fantastic image Dave!

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20020 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
Genuinely- that is one of teh best pics of the moon I have seen on these boards. A little more info on the diagnonal you used would be nice too.

No crit of the image necessary! I'd say well done but you make it look like no effort at all!!! There's a word in my head alright but I'll not utter it on these boards...
:lol:

IFAS web team

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #20023 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
thanks lads for the responses.
The exact image detail are as follows;

a, skylux 70mm on its own tripod.
b, canon 300d DSLR camera set to iso 100 and used 100th of a second exposure, camera image detail set to low size fine detail.
c, Tracking was manual, no motor here.
d, Focusing was done by eye, taking about 30 seconds.
e, 10 images stacked in registax and cropped/resized in photoshop.
as you can see, nothing special was performed here.

The camera was set at the prime focus of the scope with a t-thread to 1.25 inch barrel adapter, the camera was basically placed into the barrel of the scope, no diagonal nor filters were used.
The diagonal I use for visual use is a standard celestron 1.25 inch prism diagonal.

Do keep in mind that the 60 euro scope/mount was assisted by a 900E camera :lol:

I'm in a quandry now as I was definitely going to bring the 4" refractor to the solar eclipse. After seeing what this scope can do, I'm reconsidering that decision, if you have a skylux and some good eyepieces, the FOV and image quality given would be good for eclipse images.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #20028 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.

thanks lads for the responses.
The exact image detail are as follows;

a, skylux 70mm on its own tripod.
b, canon 300d DSLR camera set to iso 100 and used 100th of a second exposure, camera image detail set to low size fine detail.
c, Tracking was manual, no motor here.
d, Focusing was done by eye, taking about 30 seconds.
e, 10 images stacked in registax and cropped/resized in photoshop.

The camera was set at the prime focus of the scope with a t-thread to 1.25 inch barrel adapter, the camera was basically placed into the barrel of the scope, no diagonal nor filters were used.
The diagonal I use for visual use is a standard celestron 1.25 inch prism diagonal.

Do keep in mind that the 60 euro scope/mount was assisted by a 900E camera :lol:

I'm in a quandry now as I was definitely going to bring the 4" refractor to the solar eclipse. After seeing what this scope can do, I'm reconsidering that decision, if you have a skylux and some good eyepieces, the FOV and image quality given would be good for eclipse images.

Fine image Dave. You must be pleased.
As a matter of curiosity Dave, how would you say the chromatic aberrations of the skylux compare to your 4" Celestron, if you don't mind me asking?

More
18 years 9 months ago #20039 by Attitude_adjuster
Replied by Attitude_adjuster on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.
hows it going ..
nice pic of the moon there,,, picked up a skylux today as well, and tried it out a while ago, i was fairly impressed with the view of the moon it showed, it was exactly like the pic above.. only thing, i was practically blinded, by it,
i didn't realise it could be so bright...

tried getting a view of Mars, but as i'm still figuring out eq mount and stuff, it was kinda hard to get a good lock on it..
best i got was small orange dot...

overall, it seems like good value at 60 euro

oh yeah, tried taking a pic of moon as well through the telescope, but got a kind of white smudge,(i'm not very good at night photography...)

• dave_lillis
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
18 years 9 months ago #20043 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Moon image with the lidl skylux.

how would you say the chromatic aberrations of the skylux compare to your 4" Celestron, if you don't mind me asking?

A fair question and one I was considering. I know the 4" doesnt take kindly to low mag standard meade eyepieces, but it likes the nagler, after all it is a F5.
If tomorrow evening is clear, I'm going to do a show down of the 2 scopes, in terms of optical quality & FOV at prime focus using the canon.

One thing I didnt mention is that there was very faint high level haze at the time of the above image which steadied the seeing, that haze has now turned into a full blown fog. I didnt get a chance to look at Mars with it.

As for the eclipse, size and weight also comes into it, I'm only bringing the heavier/bigger scope if it is worth it.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds