• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 2 months ago #49044 by galwayskywatchers
A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks was created by galwayskywatchers
Hi

Just saw that there are talks being organised in Dublin, Cork and Galway with Science writer Dr Stuart Clarke, but being organised by AI. Looks like they might be trying to make inroads into Cork and Galway

Ronan Newman
Secretary
Galway AC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 2 months ago #49049 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
Ronan,

Remember AI is a supposed to be a nationwide society. Unfortunately AI don't do nearly enough for those not in the Dublin area. Just to be clear it has always been a goal of AI to do more for the large numbers of AI members who live outside Dublin. These talks are just part of that goal. I know for a fact that e-mail comes in almost on a dialy basis complaining that not enough is done for the members outside Dublin. There is already a strong AI branch in Cork with regular(ish) meetings.

There certainly is no intention to step on the toes of clubs arleady in these locations. In fact I would like to see AI work with local clubs if that is possible. The problem in doing this before has always been resources, specifically getting people on the ground at locations to help run the events. This is now been overcome by the appointment of a director who can work to solve these problems.

The free events you refer to are funded by other organisations, (Malin was sponsored by Armagh, if I remember correctly?). These talks have to stand on their own.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 2 months ago #49050 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
I just had a word with Mr.David Moore of AI and he has asked that I make known that members of the Galway AC and Cork AC will be given the concession rate for these talks (i.e. €3 instead of the general public rate of €5). This is (in his words) "A recognition of the stirling work done by both societies to promote astronomy in their localities".

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 2 months ago #49053 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

I just had a word with Mr.David Moore of AI and he has asked that I make known that members of the Galway AC and Cork AC will be given the concession rate for these talks (i.e. €3 instead of the general public rate of €5). This is (in his words) "A recognition of the stirling work done by both societies to promote astronomy in their localities".

A very nice gesture. Great to see things like this. Gives me hope for the future.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 2 months ago #49054 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

This is (in his words) "A recognition of the stirling work done by both societies to promote astronomy in their localities".

And he said that in real time? I think PR is at work.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 2 months ago #49056 by pmgisme
Replied by pmgisme on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
So what if they "set up a base in both cities" Ronan.

What business it of yours where they "set up a base"?

This is a free country.

Peter.

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds