K-Tec

A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

More
17 years 2 months ago #49057 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

So what if they "set up a base in both cities" Ronan.

As history has shown, they dont last and break away.
He's got a nice piece of free publicity from this.,

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #49058 by ftodonoghue
Replied by ftodonoghue on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
TBH if AI can generate interest in astronomy, we at IFAS should be happy, it means more people will have an interest and will eventually make us / local clubs off.

I for one think its a good thing and wish that they would organise talks in kerry to complement ours at KAC.

its a bit sad if people are worried about a few astronomy talks nationwide.

Cheers
Trevor

More
17 years 2 months ago #49060 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

its a bit sad if people are worried about a few astronomy talks nationwide.

Prior to reading on: this is not an attack of any kind. No offence meant (I always seemt to have to come up with these warnings when I'm about to speak my mind! ;) )

The fear is not the kind of moving onto someone else's turf and trying to nab people where a club already exists. Well, in a way it is. Looking back, GAC was formed as the Galway branch of AI which tore away because of the feeling (back then) of "why should we do the work, and David Moore get the money?" (from collections at observing sessions and onsite magazine sales). I am sensing from Ronan's post that there seems to be an agenda of David Moore's again, to try and move into these key areas (because of city centre stature) and set up shop, and push out the (smaller?) competition. Cork maybe an exception because AEye seem to have already had a long-standing branch down there. The only analogy I can think of is Tesco coming in with a better offer than the already established corner shop. Those offers lead to mass profits because of the draw of more peple. It's the prices and money-making chemes of AEye that are preceeding the feeling of working together in this case is what I am deducing from Ronan's tone. Whilst it is the end person that benefits from (in this analogy) Tesco's prices, in the end, it is just a means to stamp out the established corner shop with no compromise.

Previous history has shown that Astronomy Ireland is not a charity, but the pseudoname of a company that actually operates as A&S Ltd. It is a business made out of a hobby. Previous history also shows that bad feelings stem from this shadow operation, and it is one that is hard to shake. In the end, ALL monies that are received still go into a bank account, in the name of a certain director.

I also think that perhaps there is a sense of forboding in Ronan's post, as AEye has (in some cases) better public recognition through its channels with various sections of the media. This is not a bad thing, oh no. What is bad - and this is just an opinion drawn from the tone of a post above - is the use of that public recognition to move into an area, where a similar competitor is already established, to try and take some of their members and draw them to their own.

If that is the case (and personally, that's how I feel about it), then it is a somewhat devious plan, and as was already mentioned, draws into question the sincerety of David Moore's statement above (and whether it was said in real time!).

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 2 months ago #49061 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

What business it of yours where they "set up a base"?

This is a free country.

Peter.

You're right Peter, but there is a bit of, well, history that goes back almost 15 years that you do not know about! 2 sides to every story and all that, but suffice to say that I guess this history is what prompted Ronan to start this thread.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
17 years 2 months ago #49076 by carlobeirnes
Replied by carlobeirnes on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

What business it of yours where they "set up a base"?

This is a free country.

Peter.

You're right Peter, but there is a bit of, well, history that goes back almost 15 years that you do not know about! 2 sides to every story and all that, but suffice to say that I guess this history is what prompted Ronan to start this thread.

Seanie.

Seanie: if you keep bringing up the past things we will never move on. If they can make peace in the north can we not do it here. Or do we need to get our ministers in to solve this dispute.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

• daveg
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 years 2 months ago #49079 by daveg
Replied by daveg on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
Just some observations -

Ronan
If Galway Astronomy is this concerned maybe ye should have organised some talks for the Galway area yourselves, living in the county I see very little promotion (and include AI in this) of astronomy.

Seanie
Some very serious (maybe even approaching liablous) allegations there. I dont remember you being around at the time of the historical events of 15 years ago. Are these anecdotes that you've heard and are just carying the flame or were you involved. (Sorry but I crossed the 40 mark last year and the memory is fading).

As I've said before this is about promoting astronomy. I dont care how its done or who does it. What was the alternative, just dont bother with AI members (or for that matter any astro enthuiasts) outside Dublin??

Dave Gradwell
Amateur astronomer and not a member of any club!

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds