K-Tec

A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

More
17 years 2 months ago #49118 by slanders
Replied by slanders on topic AI.Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

I can't believe we're back here again. To me this is a non-issue. AI have gotten slack on these very boards in the past for not being a real national society because they only hold talks in Dublin. Now they DO hold events outside of Dublin and suddenly they are wrong to do that too. It makes no sense to me.

The more people organising talks in the more places the better. Period.

I couldn't agree more. I've been a member of both IAS and AI, lapsed when I moved to the UK and simply haven't gotten around to rejoining now I'm back in Ireland. It's such a shame that ill-feeling is still in evidence. Surely we all want the advancement of and interest in astronomy to take precedence?

Susan

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• galwayskywatchers
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 2 months ago #49120 by galwayskywatchers
Replied by galwayskywatchers on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
Ok, Maybe i am totally wrong they may not be trying to set up a club here. I seem to have opened another can of worms here but yes we cant interfere and yes it may help us in the long run.

And we do organise a comperhensive schedule of interesting talks with speakers from NUI Galway and elsewhere right through the year as opposed to what some may think.

An email about the talk and concession would have been nice other than reading it elsewhere first, yes i understand now about the money situation, Armagh did fund the David Malin tour.

Ronan

More
17 years 2 months ago #49124 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

Hi

Just saw that there are talks being organised in Dublin, Cork and Galway with Science writer Dr Stuart Clarke, but being organised by AI. Looks like they might be trying to make inroads into Cork and Galway

I may be a bit of topic here but - who is Clarke and upon what does/will he lecture.

JMP

[al: enable bbcode]

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 2 months ago #49130 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

who is Clarke and upon what does/will he lecture.

JMP see here for setails about Clarke and the lectures;

astronomy.ie/stuartclarklectures.html

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 2 months ago #49133 by Jared Macphester
Replied by Jared Macphester on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks

who is Clarke and upon what does/will he lecture.

JMP see here for setails about Clarke and the lectures;

astronomy.ie/stuartclarklectures.html

Oh yeah! Who would have thought of looking it up on the web!!!!

Thanks Dave.

Note to self - think.

[al: quotes...]

More
17 years 2 months ago #49139 by artyfarty
Replied by artyfarty on topic Re: A.I. Dr Stuart Clark Nationwide talks
As a relative newbe to this, I'm not carrying any of the past issues which seem to raise their heads when AI is mentioned. I'm currently a member of both AI and TAS. I joined AI because I found it easily on the Internet but was disappointed when I found the Carlow rep was non existent so I joined TAS (and very glad I did :D )

You have to admit (weather you like them or not) that AI are very active with their monthly lectures (top class speakers) BBQ's, Astronomy evening classes etc. but unfortunately it fails miserably if you don't live in the Dublin area.

I know the big issue is the shop, but it is a business, it's there to make money, get over it!!! I have to say the staff are spot on and helpful in their advice. I simply don't see the problems and the issues that people keep digging up. It's time to get over it, as was said earlier if they can have peace in the North I'm sure we can find some common ground too.

With the 2009 International Year of Astronomy coming up why can't an effort be made to bury the hatchet (not in someone's head) and use this opportunity to bring both groups closer for what is, all groups will agree, a special year for astronomy and for us as amateur astronomers.

I plan to be a member of both groups for years to come, both had strengths and weaknesses and together they make me a better astronomer.

Time to create page: 0.149 seconds