K-Tec

Planets and Moons in Wicklow Mountains National Park

More
16 years 8 months ago #63379 by JohnMurphy
Keith - thanks for coming it was great to meet you and I hope you'll jump in at some of the other events we organise. There's nothing like a 12" Dob to get the queues forming, and boy were they - for a while Keith had the longest queue, he hardly had time to set up, he's not messin' when he says he had his hands full.

Good God Keith..........................sounds like you guys were snowed under.

Paul, - plenty of frost - no snow :)
Seriously though we could have had done with another 5 scopes to alleviate the queues - now that would have been more comfortable for all.

ALSO - Well done to Deirdre Kelleghan - our Astronomer of the Year - for organising this most successful event. Hip Hip..................Hoooraay!!

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #63383 by Calibos
Thanks for those kind words John. :D Was great to finally meet you too after I missed the 2 nights in Firhouse! I was determined that I would head down tonight regardless of what I thought the weather might or might not do unlike Firhouse/Ballycullen where I thought rain/cloud would have stopped play. Didn't want to be known as the Hat-trick no show!

Hip Hip..................Hoooraay!!

For shes a jolly good fellow....for shes a ........... :D :D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 8 months ago #63400 by Calibos
One thing I learned last night was, "bring a step ladder for the kids rather than an observing chair for your own weary ass!!"......pardon my vulgarity! :D

I wouldn't mind, only I actually had the little stepladder out when I was loading the car and it was the final item that I just couldn't fit in anywhere so I brought it back into the house. Should have taken out the observing chair that I ended up not using and brought along the step ladder instead.

Another thing that I was thinking about after last night especially considering as it turns out how much I enjoyed showing the stars and planets to other people was Mallincam. Now I had been thinking about something like the Malincam for my own use but picture this.

Mallincam hooked up to the scope and displaying the wonderfull coloured images of a galaxy with spiral arms and dust lanes etc.....with the camera hooked up to a video projector (I already have one of these anyway) and projecting onto a portable roll up screen. Would have to set up a little away from other scopers obviously. Could also hook up the laptop to the projector and show videos from Starry Night Pro etc to the people in the queue's.

How cool would that be!!

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

More
16 years 8 months ago #63410 by philiplardner
You certainly had a super night for it. I would have been down there with you but I got clobbered on Saturday by a heavy duty dose of the lurgi, a temp of 101.2 and tonsils that make me feel like I'm swallowing razor blades! I looked out the window at the hard frost every now and then and wished I was out there... until my head started spinning again and I crawled back into bed to die!

These events have a big effect on people and they remember "that night with the telescopes and saturn" for many years! So a big "Well Done" to everyone who took part, and a special "WooHoo!" to Dee for organising it - I know she was nervous about the weather!

Phil.

More
16 years 8 months ago #63413 by michael_murphy

One thing I learned last night was, "bring a step ladder for the kids rather than an observing chair for your own weary ass!!"......pardon my vulgarity! :D

Some of us had both!!

Well done Deirdre it was a great night.

Michael.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 8 months ago #63419 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Yes I was nervous about the weather as on Friday evening Metcheck gave 0% cloud but by 9pm there was 100% cloud here in Bray.
I was also concerned about the guys driving down to Glendalough in such minus tempertures. Hope you are feeling better today Philip.

Many many thanks to all the telescopes and their people who came to the Wicklow National Park to share Saturn with the public, on Saturn Observation Night. Part of the Saturn Observation Campaign, last night and several nights in the next two weeks will be occasions to share Saturn with the public all over the world.
Hi also too some to the Delgany Brownies and their parents, who turned up to see Saturn in the Park.

John Murphy and his lovely new telescope, I never got a chance to look at it I was just too busy. Hope to see it again soon, thanks for the wonderful hot coffee late in the evening.

David and Yvonne Branigan thanks for coming from Kildare and for being a really good team showing the night sky to the wonderful Wicklow crowd.

Michael Murphy thanks for arriving early to help choose a good area.
I never seen such ice on a scope , it must have been in a pool of water in the boot when you got home.

Patricia Carroll thanks for coming over after work and bringing your dob, I am sure the children enjoyed the views and fun you gave them.

Simon Potterton thanks for bringing the 4 inch Celestron and getting into the swing of public outreach.

Paul Lunatic ( sorry do not know your full name ) thanks for bringing your scope and taking part in such a wonderful evening in the icy dark park.

Keith Deveney thanks for your energy and for bringing such a large scope to show off Saturn so so well.

James Kelly who I just met briefly at the end thank you so much for coming down to the park and sharing the views with the public.

If you read this could you let me know the details of your scope for my report for SON thanks

I hope I have not left any one out I only became aware of who was there toward the end as I was so busy talking Saturn, Moon, and sky stuff from 7pm till 10pm

"What is that C shaped thing hanging off the moon"? Sinus Iridium the bay of rainbows had everyone talking as it looked amazing( a sketch that escaped me :-( ) Copernicus chat " Whats those white blobs in the middle of that crater ? " "oh there are so many holes in the moon" "It is so beautiful thanks for showing it to me amazing"" "its like a plaster cast"
" its like a cake"

"OH Saturn never ever thought I would see it ever amazing"
"Its perfect " " Its just like in my book " "WOW oh WOW oh WOW"
"What are we looking at"? Saturn "No way thats fantastic where is it in the sky ?" " Can I see that with my eyes ?" Yes there it is, Can I see that when I go home ?" Yes if you take note of where it is

The public really love this and for the vast majority of those attending last night it was there first time to see anything through a telescope.
I hope to do it all again for IYA 2009.

Saturn was so well framed by the V of the valley ,she appeared to climb up along the tree lined mountain as we followed her throughout the evening.

I did not realise how cold it was until I went to pick up my scope at the end,it was full of ice as were all the scopes and equipment, it was minus 5 C

Here are a few pics, my camera froze a few times so not many and not much time to take them. The Bray People and The Wicklow Times took several so I hope to get them during the week.

One of the WNP Education Guides is awestruck by Saturn

Queue for Saturn and her moons on a frosty evening in Glendalough

Hazel Murphy and her dog Winne the Pooh get their first view of Saturn in WNP

Linda Geraghty radio producer, interviews a young Saturn viewer for Sub Atomic a new radio programme to air in May

Linda sees Saturn for the first time and is amazed

Simon Potterton showing the night sky with his 4 inch Celestron

A local man wears the right hat for Saturn at minus 5 in Glendalough

Deirdre Kelleghan

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds