K-Tec

Planets and Moons in Wicklow Mountains National Park

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
16 years 8 months ago #63425 by carlobeirnes
Well done to all involved it is great the work you all do to bring this great hobby we love to the masses.Great to see so many people turn up. well done from me :wink: :wink:

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 8 months ago #63426 by eansbro
Congratualations to the whole team. This was a fantastic effort by all concerned. It really has planted seeds with the public. I'm sure there's alot of them that shall never forget some of the views. Particularly young people where it creates some 'awe of the universe' in there lives.

Eamonn A

MPC J62
www.kingslandobservatory.com

More
16 years 8 months ago #63427 by lunartic_old
I had a fantastic time, most of the night my 5" refractor was pointed towards M42, the view being enhanced with a UHC filter and I got a lot of wows when I explained what the Orion Nebula actually was. One gentleman was amazed to discover that we were all made of star stuff, and I enjoyed telling him a brief life story of various stars and how they, and the sun, will meet their end.

I was asked to explain how to find Polaris by two people, one woman believed that the North Star was the brightest star in the sky, I explained to the gentleman how to use Polaris as a compass.

The public were genuinely interested in what was shown and what was we said.

This is the first time I have participated in such an event and I'll be there for future events. Perhaps the same location on a moonless night?

To Deirdre I want to extend my sincerest thanks, not only for organising this great night, but for the warm welcome I recieved on arrival, sorry I couldn't get to the pub afterwards, up early this morning for my son's football match. My surname if Byrne, by the way.

Roll on the next event.

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.

Rich Cook

More
16 years 8 months ago #63431 by dave_lillis
Well done to you all, sounds like a great night, if it had been nearer I would have gone along.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 8 months ago #63470 by Seanie_Morris
Looks great guys. I was up there last Sunday and I saw the notice about the wrong date in the Examiner. Luckily, a large number of people got the message. Conditions were very good too.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • Topic Author
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 8 months ago #63710 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
Wicklow Mountains National Park wish to thank all involved in Saturdays event. They told me on the phone yesterday it was the best attended event they have had in a long while. They have requested another evening perhaps this side of Christmas so we may have a further adventure in the park :D

Deirdre Kelleghan
www.deirdrekelleghan.com/
Oscail do Shuile D'iontas na Cruinne
Open Your Eyes to the Wonder of the Universe

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds