K-Tec

I KNOW i wont be missed.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70186 by EPK
Replied by EPK on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
There's room for everyone with an interest in astronomy here, no matter what their level.
Some people have little equipment, and some have astonishing masses of it.
That reflects their passion as well as their bank-balance, but their obvious usage of it is what marks them down as devotees of the subject.
I know people who think throwing money at things makes them an expert.
Here I've seen knowledge being shared with everyone, a willingness to help and give good advice, and no sense of exclusivity or elitism at all.
In meeting some of the regular posters I've found them to be warm and friendly people, and they do an excellent job of keeping this site on track, relevant, and yet open to the newest novice.
PJ's post count tells me a story.
As a relative novice, perhaps speaking a bit less and listening a bit more might have helped give him a better feel for the site.
There are many questions to be asked, but sometimes the comments seemed pointless, and did him no favours.
Sad if he feels that it's time to leave, but the problems certainly isn't with this board...it's perfectly pitched and is a credit to Irish Astronomy.

Meade 16" Lightbridge
Tal 6" Newtonian
Meade LXD75 6" Newtonian
Tal 4" Refractor
Panoptic and Nagler eyepieces.
Attitude and Smartassery

For forever and a day I shall chase that white whale - Captain Ahab

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70190 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.

PJ, stick around untill you actually meet the some of the guys, if you still feel the same way then throw in the towel.

That's a fair point. Many of us over the 5 years these boards have been active had conjured up preconceived notions about board members based on posts and comments etc. But, upon getting to know each other more at events aside from one's own club meetings like Cosmos, CSP, WSP, or AEye events, THEN we (for the greatest part imaginable) become a very large group of mates.

If PJ wants to leave, let him. 3 pages of discussion for his ego is a little much for a man who has hardly met any of us, yet throws the rattle out of the pram for being REQUESTED (more than 5 times, and only once from me) to not add majorly non-astronomical dribble to threads.

It is the job of the Mods to keep things tidy around here, just like on any other SPECIALTY forum. Many potential new members (like JaySea) can see this before joining. If you don't like it, don't sign up.

Have a nice day,

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
16 years 4 months ago #70197 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
"
I KNOW i wont be missed.
So bye bye.
Too many people here take the whole hobby of astronomy way too seriously without any room for non-astronomical social interaction on these boards between users.
I cant exist in that kind of environment.
Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA
"

I am afraid PJ has abandoned ship.
His last post is very straight, if you read it word by word.
If you read behind the lines, something must have happened and he made a 180 degree turn.

"I KNOW i wont be missed" is a kind of statement that usually rings bells.

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

More
16 years 4 months ago #70200 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.

"
I KNOW i wont be missed.
So bye bye.
Too many people here take the whole hobby of astronomy way too seriously without any room for non-astronomical social interaction on these boards between users.
I cant exist in that kind of environment.
Paul C
My next scope is going to be a Vixen VMC200L Catadioptric OTA
"

I am afraid PJ has abandoned ship.
His last post is very straight, if you read it word by word.
If you read behind the lines, something must have happened and he made a 180 degree turn.

"I KNOW i wont be missed" is a kind of statement that usually rings bells.

Best I can tell he left after his posts about the Lisbon Treaty were deleted. We don't do politics here and the posts were very politically polarizing to the point that I considered them insulting to anyone who voted the opposite way to him.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
16 years 4 months ago #70206 by Johnm
Replied by Johnm on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
I'm reasonably new to the board and completely disagree with Jaysea's comments. I find this site a great resource of help and advice and I visit it every day.
I particularly like the astrophotography section and the way that beginners' posts get as much encouragement and advise and the "professional" posts get acknowledgements.

I have never read a condescending reply to any question and am impressed by the eagerness of the more experienced members to advise others - even on questions that may have previously appeared.

I will miss PJ as I found his posts both interesting and entertaining.

The only things I don't like on this site are the non-astronomy related subjects .. as has been said in this thread three are many other sites which cater for this.
That's my tuppence worth !
John

More
16 years 4 months ago #70207 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.

Best I can tell he left after his posts about the Lisbon Treaty were deleted. We don't do politics here and the posts were very politically polarizing to the point that I considered them insulting to anyone who voted the opposite way to him.

After consulting with other mods I deleted the posts of 3 users relating to comments made by one of those users regarding the Treaty of Lisbon. PM's were sent to all explaining why their posts were deleted. Most involved responded to say they were happy enough with deleting the posts in question.

We're all fairly tolerant of banter on here once its kept civil and somehow on topic. Theres no need for an 'off topic' area. Thats would be a pain to moderate and would end up being a dumping ground for rubbish. If users want to discus a more social side, eg. discussing events, planning meetups, inviting people round to fix their scope in return for soup, showing pictures of Carl frightening pretty TV personalities at astro events etc. etc. that, in my opinion anyway, is ON topic (only just in some cases I'll grant you!)- please feel free to chat away!

Bottom line - it's an astronomy forum; lets keep things focused on astronomy please!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds