K-Tec

I KNOW i wont be missed.

More
16 years 3 months ago #70708 by Vagelis Tsamis
Replied by Vagelis Tsamis on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
Keith,
You said it all in the best possible way! Couldn't agree more.

Paul hi!
In my country things are exactly the same: there is an astronomy oriented forum which most people like and some don't.
Some time ago, we had exactly the same situation: the question of staying strictly to astronomy topics, or just talk about everything and comment on just about anything. The arguments from either side were exactly the same as here.
The difference was that it was not only one person sharing your views, but more than 7-8.
To give you a clue, try to imagine what would happen here with 7-8 PJs :shock:
It was Keith's analogy "the weak teachers who let the class run riot which led to chaos and no one learning anything."
Finally and at long last, the solution was the creation of a new forum by the PJs, half astronomy oriented, half social oriented, and everybody was happy :D

But appart from being a member of ANY internet forum, I think you could mostly enjoy the astronomy oriented social interaction, if you were a member of an astronomy club, and participated in events like meetings or observing sessions. Is that happening? Are you a club member? This is a very rewarding give-take situation.

Vagelis.

Sparta Astronomy Association / Observations Coordinator
International Occultation Timing Association / European Section, www.iota-es.de/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #70719 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
This site is extremely socially interactive!!! WITHOUT A DOUBT! Ive met many people on these bords. also ive chatted to many by PMs that have lasted weeks and weeks! A forum for astronomy, is, as the name suggests, a forum for astronomy!!! :o WOW so hard to comprehend.

Alot of the off topic posts just cause controversy and ive a sneaking suspicion that you enjoy causing it and watching it!

Theres no point going on. if you want to discuss other topics, go elsewhere. of you want to talk astronomy, talk here. Simple as!

Just my opinion

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
16 years 3 months ago #70741 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
I actually started a long response on this one but gave up....old water under a very tired bridge.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
16 years 3 months ago #70743 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
Don't know how I missed this thread. Probably my head is too far up my own...........

As to other points in this thread I would say that it's best to remember that we are talking through a keyboard and that this cannot in anyway fully communicate the meaning of a reply..... I see an image on here and I reply Sh1t.... could mean I was gobsmacked or the image is poo.

I do know that some people get offended by such remarks when interpretation is lacking however when you actually get to meet the bodies behind the posts you soon learn when to be offended and when to have a laugh.

This is the thrust of this whole debacle. We communicate through through keyboards. I for one am nothing like what I type on these boards, and I often come across as a pain in the a.......... whereas people who know me can make up their own minds and decide that I genuinely am a pain. Bottom line is never trust that you can understand peoples intent based on just a soundbite.

PJ - you don't have to respond to every single post. Keep it down to just what your interested in. I would hate to see you leave - and that's from someone who has had run-ins with the authority's also.........Sad to see you go, good luck in all you do, and hopefully you'll change your mind.

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 3 months ago #70744 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.
Right I think we need to reinstate an idea of Shanes several years ago, actively supported by myself and a few others! Astro Pints! Hey its summer, you don't have any observing to do anyway!

I'll post details of the first reconvening of the Drinking Dublin Astronomers early next week!

"Oh its a long way to Beta Gygni, its a long way to go..."

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 3 months ago #70746 by Calibos
Replied by Calibos on topic Re: I KNOW i wont be missed.

Right I think we need to reinstate an idea of Shanes several years ago, actively supported by myself and a few others! Astro Pints! Hey its summer, you don't have any observing to do anyway!

I'll post details of the first reconvening of the Drinking Dublin Astronomers early next week!

"Oh its a long way to Beta Gygni, its a long way to go..."

LMAO :lol:

I fully agree with John. His posts make him seem like a right a.........e

........but he is a lovely guy in person :wink:

Kidding.....John.....JOHN!! I was only joking, come back John, don't be like that......

:D

Keith D.

16" Meade Lightbridge Truss Dobsonian with Servocat Tracking/GOTO
Ethos 3.7sx,6,8,10,13,17,21mm
Nagler 31mm

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds