K-Tec

Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009

More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #76153 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
The clouds know we're coming.

Nationwide outlook from met.ie:

Friday morning but brighter, showery conditions will develop in the afternoon; it will stay mild, although strong, south to southeast winds will persist. Friday night will remain cloudy and fairly mild, with further showers and fresh to strong, southeast winds; in eastern areas showers may merge to give longer spells of rain. Saturday will have further showers or longer outbreaks of rain in most parts of the country; southeast winds will moderate but it will turn cooler during the day. Mainly dry conditions will extend westwards on Saturday night, leaving just scattered showers in western counties by Sunday morning; turning colder overnight but probably staying too cloudy and breezy for frost. Sunday will become dry in all areas with sunny spells developing; however, with moderate to fresh, southeast to east winds setting in, it will feel rather cold.

I'll be packing just binos if the forecast doesn't improve by Friday morning.

Oh well. Anyone for a game of 45 or 110 on Saturday night after the table quiz?

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by jhoare.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• R Newman
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
15 years 8 months ago - 15 years 8 months ago #76162 by R Newman
Replied by R Newman on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
In a change in the running order Dave Mc Donald has kindly agreed to talk after Prof Luke Drury as Gregg Halinan is ariving back from a weeks observing at Kitt Peak (I Think?)at 10am that morning and will be on second last.

We are not certain of which room we will be using on the friday evening and going by last year there was 30 people at my talk so this year on the friday night only we may not be using the main hall.The room we have can take 40 people, but come early! Two good talks.

Also Andy Shearer has informed me that he will be using a sophisticated 3D twin projector system for his talk that has never been seen before.

As I said we have the main hall all day Saturday.Hope everyone enjoys the event and the many talks

If anyone has any queries pls dont hesitste to PM me

Thanks again

Ronan Newman
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by R Newman.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 8 months ago #76204 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
Just wanted to say a very BIG thank you to Ronan and all at GAC for a wonderful event. I certainly had a ball at what is, for me, one of the highlight events of the year. Massive kudos to all involved for doing a superb job once again.

Looking forward to next year already!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
15 years 8 months ago #76205 by michael_murphy
Replied by michael_murphy on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
Dave Grennan wrote:

Just wanted to say a very BIG thank you to Ronan and all at GAC for a wonderful event. I certainly had a ball at what is, for me, one of the highlight events of the year. Massive kudos to all involved for doing a superb job once again.

Looking forward to next year already!

I second that - it was a great weekend.

Michael.

More
15 years 8 months ago #76209 by philiplardner
Replied by philiplardner on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
I whole heartedly agree with Dave and Michael - well done to Ronan and all involved on yet another EXCELLENT weekend - Thank You! We all had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed the talks, the chatting and the (waaay) after-hours craic! Thanks also to Mike Redfern for opening up the observatory and giving us a guided tour for well over half an hour!

Serious 'thumbs up' guys!

Phil

More
15 years 8 months ago #76214 by eansbro
Replied by eansbro on topic Re:Galway Astronomy Festival Jan 30/31 2009
Thanks to Ronan and the GAC team for putting on a wonderful weekend.

Eamonn A

www.kingslandobservatory.com

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds