K-Tec

Tonight's Moon...

More
18 years 9 months ago #19762 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
In terms of making it look natural Mick, how about having North up? Or do you have some Southern Hemisphere experience you'd like to share?

Deirdre: a very fine sketch indeed. Anto is right about the VMA - it's fantastic. One of the problems with Moon books is that they can sometimes emphasis completely different craters. Many of the ones you've id'd, for instance, I couldn't find off the top of my head, while others I could. There's many times I've been struck by an incredible looking crater with beautiful light-play across it, then when I've looked it up it's something small and insignificant, relatively speaking. Rukl's atlas is definitive, but cannot take the action of the terminator or libration into account, while the VMA can.

Here's a challenge: we're always told that you will never find a larger crater superimposed on a smaller crater on the Moon. It's a rule. Like all rules though there is one exception. It's on our nearside. Can you find it?

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #19766 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...

In terms of making it look natural Mick, how about having North up? Or do you have some Southern Hemisphere experience you'd like to share?

Deirdre: a very fine sketch indeed. Anto is right about the VMA - it's fantastic. One of the problems with Moon books is that they can sometimes emphasis completely different craters. Many of the ones you've id'd, for instance, I couldn't find off the top of my head, while others I could. There's many times I've been struck by an incredible looking crater with beautiful light-play across it, then when I've looked it up it's something small and insignificant, relatively speaking. Rukl's atlas is definitive, but cannot take the action of the terminator or libration into account, while the VMA can.

Here's a challenge: we're always told that you will never find a larger crater superimposed on a smaller crater on the Moon. It's a rule. Like all rules though there is one exception. It's on our nearside. Can you find it?

Thanks for the rotation coment. I knew there ws something "wrong" about the image (difference in no. of craters between hemispeheres etc) but was so caught up in the procesing that I mssed the "bigger picture", so to speak. Post above is now updated.

More
18 years 9 months ago #19767 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...

I mssed the "bigger picture", so to speak. Post above is now updated.

You sure?

Want to take another look? :lol:

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
18 years 9 months ago #19769 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
I just downloaded the VMA and am looking forward to using it as a tool to ID the craters in my sketches. Thanks everyone for your comments.

Happy Lunatic
Deirdre :D

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #19809 by michaeloconnell

You sure?

Want to take another look? :lol:

No flies on you then! :) Want to take another look perhaps? Mabey the moon really is in the morning sky? Or mabey the middle photo is in the correct position but the other two are swapped? :)

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #19810 by michaeloconnell

BTW, I've been meaning to ask you, did you complete the Messier handbook yet?
:)

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds