K-Tec

Tonight's Moon...

More
18 years 9 months ago #20163 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
No photoshop voodoo here guys- just set the white and dark points (255, 0) of the image using the levels in Photoshop with a *little* unsharp mask for good measure. The image was begging for it :wink:

Michaels photo had a lovely smooth histogram. Perfect shot. Michael was bang on with his exposure- even still there was room for more information. Now- to make things really interesting if someone takes a long and short exposure and we stick it through the HDR function in photoshop we should get the full range :D

IFAS web team

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20171 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
Well done Mick. Well done. Might join the queue outside DaveP's gaff!

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
18 years 9 months ago #20172 by johnflannery
Replied by johnflannery on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
I've got my cover photo for the next Arcturus??? Can I swipe it lads to put in the magazine? Many thanks in advance!

congratulations guys on a superb shot. I remember how people once had to "dog" the image when printing it to ensure even brightness across the photo. Amazing how much image processing technology has come since then! Your picture guys reminds me of those Lick Observatory shots of the Moon . . . it almost cries out for someone to stick labels on the major features visible. Top class!

John

More
18 years 9 months ago #20178 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...

to make things really interesting if someone takes a long and short exposure and we stick it through the HDR function in photoshop we should get the full range :D

Great idea, I hadn't thought of using that function on an intrinsically bright object, although I think it would be almost if not totally impossible to improve on the above image. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #20179 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
Thanks lads for the kind comments and thanks to Dave Power also for helping with the processing. I felt the foucus in this shot was a little better than in my waxing cresent moon image shown earlier. I found that using my new foucser makes it alot easier to focus. Pity I didn't get the right balance on contrast & brightness. However, Dave's work on this image has provided me with a few ideas on how to process images in future and hopefully my processing abilities will improve with time.
John,
Feel free to use the photo for Arcturus. Make sure to credit Dave Power as well.

Clear skies,

More
18 years 9 months ago #20189 by Jed Glover
Replied by Jed Glover on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
Michael,

That has to be the best shot of the moon I have seen on these boards by a significant margin!

WTG.

Later,

Jed.

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds