K-Tec

Tonight's Moon...

More
18 years 9 months ago #20068 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
Fabulous image Michael, although a bit dark, I'd bet you processed this on your laptop, those TFT screens are unreliable contrast/brightness wise.
The detail is stunning, you can see the few hours differnace between it and the skylux image. you can clearly see what the extra 13 centimeters of aperture gets you.
Its as if you could dive right into copernicus there, again excellent detail. :)

I went out again to have another look at the moon, the seeing was the best I've seen it for along time, probabily due to the very slight fog.

Deirdre, again another great pencil drawing. :)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #20080 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...

Fabulous image Michael, although a bit dark, I'd bet you processed this on your laptop, those TFT screens are unreliable contrast/brightness wise.
The detail is stunning, you can see the few hours differnace between it and the skylux image. you can clearly see what the extra 13 centimeters of aperture gets you.
Its as if you could dive right into copernicus there, again excellent detail. :)

One of the things I did (or rather Dave Power did) recently was to calibrate the monitor for my desktop which I found helped alot. I processed the image on this then. One of the things I've noticed is that if you mess with the contrast too much when processing images of the moon, you'll lose detail at the terminator in order to brighten the remainder of the moon and end up with an image that looks like it was taken several hours earlier.
I would recommend to everyone here to get their monitors calibrated. There are several freeware software programs available which allow you to do this. At least that way, everyone sees the same thing.

More
18 years 9 months ago #20089 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
So maybe the shutter speed on the camera was abit too fast??
Another quirke of the canon is that the image can look fine in its LCD viewfinder but as soon as you put it on a pc screen, it can look decidely dark, is this what happened?

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
18 years 9 months ago #20101 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Tonight's Moon...
I have to say Deirdre, your pencil drawings are almost like a fresh breath of air! Not to take away from the photographers, but to see pencil drawings of the same everynight objects really is a break from the norm - and nice to see! Keep it up!

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #20119 by michaeloconnell

So maybe the shutter speed on the camera was abit too fast??
Another quirke of the canon is that the image can look fine in its LCD viewfinder but as soon as you put it on a pc screen, it can look decidely dark, is this what happened?

When I took the images of the moon, I took them slightly darker than they could be. This is to ensure that they don't get washed out and lose detai in the broghter rays etcl. Afterwards, I then adjusted the levels and curves to try and brighten the image. I could perhaps have brightened the image slightly alright. If I compare this to your image Dave, I would have thought that your image was slightly too bright mabey, although closer to the "ideal" level of brightness than mine is perhaps. Does that make sense?

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
18 years 9 months ago #20120 by michaeloconnell
Dave Power tried his hand at processing the image and I think it looks much better. What do you think?

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds