• derekgiven
  • Topic Author
  • Nebula
  • Nebula
More
19 years 5 months ago #10704 by derekgiven
Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser' was created by derekgiven
Hi people,
Been a browser of this and many other Irish sites on astronomy for a while now, and decided to put my name on this one.
Been looking on the likes of science.ie, and I see Cosmos is coming up in Tullamore. I'll probably try and get to it.
I also saw a fundraiser for astronomy ireland for something. I emailed them but have not got a response yetas to what the fundraiser is for. Anyone know what its for? Can't find any info on their site.

Also, I have seen how distatsteful threads on Astronomy and Ireland, or astronomy and space can be, and I agree with them for the most part. I have noticed things like their 9000th member SINCE it started in 1992 has been added which means it DOES NOT have 9000 members.

Anyway, the site is fab, its a real credit to astronomy in the ole emerald isle. Its a pity perhaps it is not linked with other groups around the world, or will this happen?

Dickie.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10710 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Firstly, it is my experience that generally AI fundrasers are to raise funds for AI. I will point out however that I am not affiliated with the AI powers that be so I could be wrong!

Personally I find such fundraisers to be a con because I don't see a divide between A&S Ltd. and AI, as such I consider them fundraisers for a company which would be fine if they were advertised as such but they aren't.

Now, that is my personal opinion and one I know is sharead by a lot of people. I also know that AI would look at this very differently and that is their choice.

Now, this site is run under the auspicis of IFAS so it is linked to the majority of non-AI clubs in the country. As time goes on and more and more sites link to us and we get more popular we have been steadily making our way up the google rankings so our standing is ever increasing and I see no reason for that not to continue.

Lastly, this is one of those threads that has a very real posibility of getting nasty, please don't let that happen! (I'll be watching!)

Clear Skies to all,

Bart B.,
IFAS Webmaster.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 5 months ago #10711 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Dickie - welcome aboard!

I didn't hear about a fundraser for AI. Where did you see it?

I'm not sure what the policy/procedure is for linking this site other than I just went ahead and linked it from my home page.

What do you reckon lads - should there be a concerted effort to publicise the site?

Cheers

Dave McD

More
19 years 5 months ago #10712 by dmcdona
Bart - nasty? Never... :D

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #10717 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Just for the record Astronomy Ireland is a non-profit making organisation set up topromote interest in astronomy and science in this country. AI has its own distinct bank accounts audit by a treasurer (who's a retired revenue commissioner:) ). Remember guys AI events do cost money to run. Insurance, light and heat, not to mention hundreds of press releases and lecturers fees!

A&S Limited is a proper company paying its taxes which runs the shop and is just happens to be owned by Mr. David Moore who happens to be the Chairman of AI. There is no confusion, its all nice and simple, AI is a club, A&S is a company.

There is an AI Limited (now dormant) which was a company set up at the insistance of FAS to manage a sizeable grant for a community employment scheme, but is now not used.

All of this is good enough for the companies office, revenue commissioners, auditors, FAS and other state agencies. What I dont understand is why others find all of this so confusing?

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #10719 by dmcdona
Oh no... not again :cry:

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds