K-Tec

Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #10785 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Dave G, I know you say 1 club now charges to its observing session, but its the first since AI. And, if I may say so, its the cock and bull with regards to HOW AI/A&S do their observing session that gets everybodys noses out of joint! To charge to an event, and (well, up to very recently anyway) STILL CHARGE TO LOOK THROUGH A SCOPE is not right. Then to look for donations... Come on! He's got volunteers around Ireland collecting for HIM, not the club or company!

I cant understand why people dont seem to appreciate this point but events on this scale cost money to run, most often the cost of the event, insurance, crash barriers, publicity and other expenses outweigh the revenues. They just cant be run for free. It shouldnt be forgotten that AI's weekly telescope nights have always been and continue to be free as associated costs such as insurance are paid for by the other 'pay-per-view' events.

Where do IFAS clubs get the money to pay for things like insurance? Membership fees i guess? Theres nothing wrong with that. The money has to come from somewhere.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10787 by ei5fk
Replied by ei5fk on topic Hardly confused

CONFUSED

No Dave Grennan, im not confused and im not sure about others here but I am sure they are enlightened and like Dickie "seen the light"
:wink:

Charles

More
19 years 5 months ago #10788 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Membership fees are fine and I'm sure no-one has any problem paying them. Promoting astronomy is another fine upstanding activity to be involved in, especially if it involves outreach programs, educational sectors and so on.

But to charge a 'membership fee' and tout a 'free' magazine then charge for events, premium phone line, advertise an astronomy business at all events and so on is what gets my goat. I asked the question several times but have never recevied a response to what my AI membership money pays for - no, the magazine is 'free' - that's how it is advertised.

Yes, we all know this hobby costs money. Yes, we know you can't hold an event and expect to get all the facilities free (is there a charge for the use of Phoenix park?) but there is private sponsorship, community projects, government funding, grants from all kinds or organisations etc which can all be used to offset the cost and pass savings on to the hobbyists.

If AI was like any other club, this discussion would not be taking place. But it is not. It is inextricably linked to a business - maybe not on paper, but its clear to all that that is the case.

People hate being taken for a ride. Rip-off Ireland is bad anough without it extending into our pastimes and R&R hobbies. Most folks here have invested significant amounts of money in equipment for astronomy. To then have to pay a membership fee for whatever organisation you want to join is no great shakes. But to then have to pay additional money for substandard services is not on. I mean, how stupid does AI think its members are? Phone the premium line for ISS info when you can get it for free? And I won't forget getting the SBQ mobile voicemail and text message - that was pure spam and I never gave AI or A&S the right to make me pay to retrieve that electronic communication.

If I was in an open space observing and Joe Public asked me to have a look through my scope, I would be ashamed to ask them for money.

No-one has a problem paying a fair price for a fair service. No-one has a problem sticking their hand in their pocket when they know they are getting value-for-money. No-one minds in the slightest that service and equipment providers make a living out of our hobby. But people absolutely do not like being taken for a mug.

AI and A&S have taken me for a mug - I swallowed it whole and parted with my cash. I then found the alternate view and felt badly cheated and insulted. I was taken for a ride. The A&S shop might as well have greeted me with a saddle - 'Yes Sir, just try this on - lovely fit - now we'll just take you for a couple of laps around the store.'

But it won't happen again.

Folks on this board will defend AI and I applaud them for it. Its essential that the alternate view is presented - be they pure opinions or factual accounts.

The readers of this board will take all these posts into consideration when they decide on where their next subscription is going or where they'll buy there next bit of astro kit from.

All the best

Dave McD

More
19 years 5 months ago #10789 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
You know I had completely forgotten about getting spammed by AI!

That really pissed me off at the time, so much I gave AI and earfull and even talked to the Data Protection Commissioner about it. What pisses me off even more is that that is my membership money being wasted on spam that is, I have been told by experts, illegal. That is not how members hard earned cash should be spent!

Now, I have not recieved any spam since so either they have stopped spamming people or they have taken me off their list. I really hope thye have stopped spamming in total because I really object ot my membership fees being used to fund that kind of activity.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 5 months ago #10790 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Dave G, I know you say 1 club now charges to its observing session, but its the first since AI. And, if I may say so, its the cock and bull with regards to HOW AI/A&S do their observing session that gets everybodys noses out of joint! To charge to an event, and (well, up to very recently anyway) STILL CHARGE TO LOOK THROUGH A SCOPE is not right. Then to look for donations... Come on! He's got volunteers around Ireland collecting for HIM, not the club or company!

I cant understand why people dont seem to appreciate this point but events on this scale cost money to run, most often the cost of the event, insurance, crash barriers, publicity and other expenses outweigh the revenues. They just cant be run for free. It shouldnt be forgotten that AI's weekly telescope nights have always been and continue to be free as associated costs such as insurance are paid for by the other 'pay-per-view' events.

Where do IFAS clubs get the money to pay for things like insurance? Membership fees i guess? Theres nothing wrong with that. The money has to come from somewhere.

Its the mans PRINCIPAL! You don't charge people amission to the cinema, THEN charge them again to look at the movie! Thats what Moore used to always do, at his Expos, Starbeques, SkyWatches - you name it, its happened there. I'm sick and tired of hearing how many people manage to get conned into parting with too much money at his events. I wonder what % of the A&S membership is on concurrent members. I ask, because TAS, GAC, CAC, IAA, DAS, BLAS, KAS, and then some, all have members who were in A&S for 1 lousy year. Some of them are members here, and will back up the bad things they experienced with A&S with those mentioned here by e.g. David McDonna, Leo Daly, Albert White to name but a few (I'll edit this post if said people wish to have their names removed, but they have all spoke about A&S in the way described before in previous threads).
I have NEVER been to an A&S event, and I don't want to, based on the 1st hand accounts of those I have talked to. Then, when I read about it on their site how great it was (for Moore), it boils my blood even more.
The exagerrations (ISS BLAZES across the sky [its only a tiny dot], Saturn BLAZING in the evening sky on such a date [when that date is a Saturn Watch - the planet has been there for months before and will be so for more to come, not looking any different], closest you'll ever see Mars in 60,000 years [it still looked the exact SAME 1 month prior and 2 months after that August 2003 event], thousands visit Expo [yeah, right], largest club in the world [based on a head count since 1992, NOT in the last 12 months], call a premium €1/minute phoneline to hear when the ISS passes overhead [he gets his information from the same web-based sources we get ours - for free], and so on, I've got a long healthy list here....)

Now, you keep mentioning where do other clubs get their revenue from. Well, yes memberships. Without memberships, there is no insurance, no facilities to share lectures, no equipment to use, no newsletters etc etc. But us lesser clubs dont make a business out of folk that (for the most part) don't know any better (because they are not properly informed). We just help! We don't strive to make as much profit as possible, or grossly mislead the public for our benefit - it doesn't sound right, and does not bode well for publicity for the club in question. Can't you see how the practices of Moore have led a lot of us here to speak ill of him? Its because of what he does. He also has a lot of people thinking

Astronomy Ireland caters for the amateur Irish astronomer. Yes, there are other clubs in the country, but many cater for experts and fall out of the league of the average amateur. The sort of white-coat astronomer[end quote].

Don't even get me started on those daft prices he charges on inferior Celestron equipment. Not everyone in Ireland buys Celestron, or from him.

Its stupid what he has done to the hobby in my opinion.

:roll:

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 5 months ago #10794 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Why do you think its all about Dave Moore, it isnt. What about the AI volunteer standing out in the cold on showing people astronomy events. He or she doesnt make a single cent from doing that. You see thats why I will defend AI to death on these boards. These people dont disparrage the efforts of you or your club colleagues. In fact some of them encourage people to get involved with their local societies. Yet these people see you guys saying their efforts are worthless and the suggestion is that somehow they are profiteering from it is totally offensive.

Seanie: Who decided that celestron gear is 'inferior'? Last time I looked respected amateurs like Damien Peach were raving about their celestron gear.

Anyway guys this is my last post in this thread *AND I MEAN THAT* :!:
All were doing now is re-hashing stuff we went over months ago!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.116 seconds