K-Tec

Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

More
19 years 5 months ago #10720 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Cheers Dave - just had to get in my 300th post :!: :lol:

Dave McD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10724 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Just for the record Astronomy Ireland is a non-profit making organisation set up topromote interest in astronomy and science in this country. AI has its own distinct bank accounts audit by a treasurer (who's a retired revenue commissioner:) ). Remember guys AI events do cost money to run. Insurance, light and heat, not to mention hundreds of press releases and lecturers fees!

A&S Limited is a proper company paying its taxes which runs the shop and is just happens to be owned by Mr. David Moore who happens to be the Chairman of AI. There is no confusion, its all nice and simple, AI is a club, A&S is a company.

There is an AI Limited (now dormant) which was a company set up at the insistance of FAS to manage a sizeable grant for a community employment scheme, but is now not used.

All of this is good enough for the companies office, revenue commissioners, auditors, FAS and other state agencies. What I dont understand is why others find all of this so confusing?

I find it VERY confusing that when I sign up to AI my money seems to go to A&S and the bit that really gets me is that the form asks for a donation, where does that go? Are people donating to A&S or to AI? Of my Astronomy Ireland membership, how much of that moeny goes to AI and how much goes to A&S? These are things I think that I, as an AI member, feel I'm entitled to know. In fact I think it should be clearly stated on the form exactly how much goes where, but it isn't and the standard response to questions seems to be "no need ot ask questions it's all legit because a former revenue commisioner looks after it for us". I'm not happy with that, other are.

Since it's not made clear where your "membership" money and your donation goes I can totally understand why people are confused. I personally find there is simply not enough transparency there for my liking, not nearlly enough.

I am used to working in a system where there is a massive level of transparency and where the powers that be have to get a direct mandate from the members. From what I can see David Moore appears to be against this model, he has chosen a different one, modeled on the Planetary Society I belive so at the end of the day a lot this comes down to a massive difference in ideologies and on the role members should play within a society.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 5 months ago #10728 by gammarayo
Replied by gammarayo on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
Guys,

I think the AI "fundraiser" you are talking about is the Star-b-q on the 29th of April.

I am very interested in what people have to say about AI, since i became a "member" with them last year. I'll be keeping an eye on this forum, and i'm sure there will be many more posts on this topic.

Regards,
Ray

More
19 years 5 months ago #10729 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
I went to the Star Party in the autumn of last year and I was majorly disappointed. It cost me 40 quid for me and my partner. I've no idea where the fund-raising money went or what it was used to fund.

Facilities were poor, the audio-visual system for the presentation was poor and the event was used to promote the A&S shop - including having several products for sale on the night. The food was limited, there were no hot drinks and the event went ahead even though the weather forecast for the area was for cloudy skies. And that's what we got - dark-sky views of low cloud.

All I get off AI is a mag every month - and everyone here knows what I think about that in terms of value-for-money. I see no other advantages to 'membership'. You still have to pay in for at least some of the lectures, if not all. I also understand that public viewings incur a 'donation' to look through a telescope. I understand its a voluntary 'donation' but really, I think that's cheap.

As a member of AI, sorry, subcsriber to A&S Magazine, (for this, my last year) I have to say that my 'membership' fee is pretty much wasted in my opinion. I complained to AI but got no response. And it seems that others have complained but got no response.

I agree with Bart - it is the lack of transparency and accountability that really gets me.

Anyhow, I'm not going to waste another iota of effort on complaining to AI but to spend my time more productively promoting this most excellent umbrella organisation and the superstellar fledgling Kildare Astronomy Society!

By the way, just to keep this straight, these are my own personal opinions based on direct personal experiences. Others may not agree and have the absolute right to reply and disagree.

Cheers

Dave McD

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #10730 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

I find it VERY confusing that when I sign up to AI my money seems to go to A&S and the bit that really gets me is that the form asks for a donation, where does that go? Are people donating to A&S or to AI?

Sorry if I wasnt clear enough Bart. Its really simple when you sign up to AI all of that money goes to AI and into AI's bank account. None of that money goes to A&S. When you buy something from the shop all of your money goes to A&S and none of it goes to AI. It really is that simple.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #10731 by jhonan

Sorry if I wasnt clear enough Bart. Its really simple when you sign up to AI all of that money goes to AI and into AI's bank account. None of that money goes to A&S. When you buy something from the shop all of your money goes to A&S and none of it goes to AI. It really is that simple.

Do you know what name AI (the non-profit organisation) is registered as with the Companies Office?

Everyone in Ireland buys Meade, and they all buy them from Lidl.

Time to create page: 0.115 seconds