K-Tec

Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

More
19 years 5 months ago #10801 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Dave G, I know you say 1 club now charges to its observing session, but its the first since AI. And, if I may say so, its the cock and bull with regards to HOW AI/A&S do their observing session that gets everybodys noses out of joint! To charge to an event, and (well, up to very recently anyway) STILL CHARGE TO LOOK THROUGH A SCOPE is not right. Then to look for donations... Come on! He's got volunteers around Ireland collecting for HIM, not the club or company!

Seanie.

Interesting, this I didnt know.
For the record all SAC observing sessions are free, and thats the way it''ll stay.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10802 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
I personally have no beef with all AI volunteers. I only have a beef with AI events and A&S.

The fact that AI uses volunteers whilst emptying the pockets of attendees makes it even more unwholesome. AI/A&S is taking the p*ss out of everyone!

And although you won't reply Dave, I would defend your right to defend anyone you wish!

My opinions aren't about you or the volunteers of AI - its about the way the operation is carried out and managed. And who does that point to?

All the best

Dave McD

Seanie - my C8 is Ok but I wish it was a StarFire :cry: I paid about the same from A&S :lol:

More
19 years 5 months ago #10805 by Bill_H

What about the AI volunteer standing out in the cold on showing people astronomy events. He or she doesnt make a single cent from doing that.

Yep, that sounds about right
:evil:
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10809 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Why do you think its all about Dave Moore, it isnt. What about the AI volunteer standing out in the cold on showing people astronomy events. He or she doesnt make a single cent from doing that.

I think thats the point that was being made. We know the regular volunteers of groups dont get paid for observing nights. But without the transparency you don't know where the money is going.

Yet these people see you guys saying their efforts are worthless and the suggestion is that somehow they are profiteering from it is totally offensive.

The AI practice of asking for donation money and magazine money from public events around the country to be sent to be sent to Dublin has been established before here hasn't it? If people who help out at AI nights around the country think that anyone here is saying that they are personally profiting from standing out in the cold or that their efforts are worthless, then they really should read the comments here more closley.

Cheers,
~Al

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 5 months ago #10810 by Bill_H
And I bet DM doesn't stand out in the cold and not get a cent for it :evil:

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 5 months ago #10811 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Dave G, I know you say 1 club now charges to its observing session, but its the first since AI.

Interesting, this I didnt know.
For the record all SAC observing sessions are free, and thats the way it''ll stay.

Dave is also incorrect stating that the club is charging for its public observing. The IAA, are holding a series of public events in Mount Stewart House, Newtonards. The admission price (£5) is for entry to the house and gardens where the events are being held and will be going to the national trust. Since its on a national trust property, and you are required to book through Mount Stuart and not the IAA I would think it was obvious that the IAA is not getting the £5. The proper admission price is £5.45 so if anything you get to go at a discount because of the IAA!

It is my understanding that all IAA events, both lectures and observing nights will continue to be, as they have been, free and open to all.

Perhaps someone from the IAA might like to chime in here, but for the record here is the announcement, which is where I imagine Dave got his information from

1. A final reminder about the IAA Public Lecture on Wednesday 16 March, by Dr Niall Smyth, of CIT: The title is "Blackrock Castle Robotic Observatory"; Lecture Theatre 5, Stranmillis College, Belfast, 7.30 p.m. Free admission, including light refreshments. All welcome.

2. IAA at MOUNTSTEWART: The first of three public observing events this spring: "JEWELS OF THE SKY AT MOUNT STEWART"

Come and see the 'jewels of the sky' at Mount Stewart House, near Greyabbey, Newtownards, on Friday 18 March, through the IAA's powerful telescopes and binoculars.
If the sky is clear, this is what lies in store: Saturn, the most beautiful sight in the night sky, will be perfectly placed for viewing. See its magnificent Rings, and its largest, puzzling & fascinating moon Titan, recently visited by the Huyghens space craft.
Later, we'll see giant Jupiter, the largest planet in the Solar System, big enough to hold over 1,000 Earths! Also its four largest Moons, discovered by Galileo about 300 years ago.
Among the stellar jewels on display will be the beautiful Pleiades, or Seven Sisters, in Taurus. See how many you can count in high-power binoculars or a telescope - not just seven, but maybe seventy, or more!
Not far away is Orion, the Mighty Hunter, the most magnificent constellation in the entire sky. See the brilliant white star Rigel, which is 50,000 times brighter than our Sun. And giant Red Betelgeuse, a star so big that if placed where our Sun is, it would engulf not just Mercury, and Venus, and Earth, but almost Mars as well! Below the three stars forming Orion's Belt, you can see the Orion Nebula, a gigantic cloud of gas and dust where stars like our Sun are being formed right now!
See the amazing Andromeda Galaxy, the big brother of our own Milky Way galaxy: a vast horde of two hundred thousand million stars, at the incredible distance of about 14 million million million miles!
Much closer to home, we'll have a spectacular First Quarter Moon: an incredible sight in a good telescope, with hundreds of gigantic craters, mountains, valleys, and giant plains.
And if you're there early, at about 7.30 p.m. you can join the very tiny minority of human beings who have seen the innermost planet, Mercury, always difficult to see because it's so close to the Sun.
Closest of all will be the International Space Station, orbiting just over 100 miles above our heads - we should see it cross the sky at an amazing 17,000 mph, looking like a brilliant fast-moving star.
We'll also have superb star shows in a mobile planetarium, telescopes on display, talks about the universe and the night sky, an exhibition of amazing photos of the wonders of the sky, a collection of meteorites from space, and you can meet the Ulsterman who has been weightless, and has already flown almost to the edge of space, and has now booked on the next available commercial flight into space! So there will be plenty to see and do even if it's cloudy.
Remember: wrap up really warm, particularly head, hands & feet!
Refreshments available in Mount Stewart House Bay Restaurant open between 7pm - 8.30pm (this is not included in the admission price).
Admission Adults £5 - Children £3. Book via Mount Stewart.

Even if the IAA were charging, its members have the right to see the accounts and elect a new committee. And to the best of my knowledge Terry does not have a nicley profitable company producing Stardust to generate any confusion regarding where the clubs money goes! Slightly different from the AI/A&S situation.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds