K-Tec

Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

More
19 years 5 months ago #10732 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

I find it VERY confusing that when I sign up to AI my money seems to go to A&S and the bit that really gets me is that the form asks for a donation, where does that go? Are people donating to A&S or to AI? Of my Astronomy Ireland membership, how much of that moeny goes to AI and how much goes to A&S? These are things I think that I, as an AI member, feel I'm entitled to know. In fact I think it should be clearly stated on the form exactly how much goes where, but it isn't and the standard response to questions seems to be "no need ot ask questions it's all legit because a former revenue commisioner looks after it for us". I'm not happy with that, other are.

Or another way, say you want to be a member of AI but don't however want to subscribe to A&S magazine. It seems impossible to be such a member as they are inseperable.

The A&S accounts, to an extent, are availble from the CRO. So ironically as a member/subscriber I can find out more about the company that I can about the club.

Dave, you have been privy to the internal workings of AI, so perhaps it makes clear sence to you with what you've seen. But as a member this never made sence to me, and enquiries for clarification were normally just not replied to. Try looking at it from an ordinary members perspective, for example when they buy from the "club shop" there is an expectation that some money goes to the club. What appears to happen is that it all goes to A&S who in turn somehow sponsor AI events, the details of which are undisclosed. As Bart said, there is not nearly enough transparency here for my liking, others may be fine with it.

I know you are just clarifying things as you see it, but from my 10 or so[1] years of on and off membership/subscription things are far from being as clear as I'd expect.

Cheers,
~Al

[1] meaning since the mag was the irregularly published "Journal of Astronomy Ireland"!

p.s There are jobs going at A&S! The web site says to pass it on to anyone who might be interested ;-)
"We now run one of the biggest telescope shops in Europe, currently based in Artane, Dublin 5 but supplying telescopes, parts, books, etc by mail order around Ireland and abroad. As part of a major expansion plan this year we have vacancies for managers, office administrators, accounts staff, and sales personnel."
Mentioning that you read about the jobs here on the application may not be to your advantage ;-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
19 years 5 months ago #10734 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Do you know what name AI (the non-profit organisation) is registered as with the Companies Office?

John,

As I mentioned there is a non-trading company called 'Astronomy Ireland Limited' which was set up for the purposes of administering a community employment scheme a few years back. Astronomy Ireland is not a company it is a registered charity as defined by something called the 'mcnaughton act' or something like that!!

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #10736 by gammarayo
Replied by gammarayo on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'
DaveMcD,

I have just booked two tickets for the upcoming Star-b-q, and i am trying to persuade my other half to come along with me, as i thought this would be a good opportunity to get her interested in astronomy. My previous attempts at this have failed, usually because she complained of being too cold or too something or other! But i am having doubts after reading your account of last years event - i certainly hope they will at least have hot drinks there. Well. i have handed over my 50 quid now, so i'll just hope for the best.

Ray

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 5 months ago #10737 by DaveGrennan

Or another way, say you want to be a member of AI but don't however want to subscribe to A&S magazine. It seems impossible to be such a member as they are inseperable.

Yes your right, but if AI were to start offering these kind of options it could get terribly complicated. I dont beleive you can join the BAA without subscribing to the BAA handbook, for example.

Dave, you have been privy to the internal workings of AI, so perhaps it makes clear sence to you with what you've seen. But as a member this never made sence to me, and enquiries for clarification were normally just not replied to. Try looking at it from an ordinary members perspective, for example when they buy from the "club shop" there is an expectation that some money goes to the club. What appears to happen is that it all goes to A&S who in turn somehow sponsor AI events, the details of which are undisclosed. As Bart said, there is not nearly enough transparency here for my liking, others may be fine with it.

First of all something has changed in the last few weeks which I want to be up front about. From May 2005 I will be writing for A&S. I will be writing the monthly sky diary. Just wanted to be up front about that. GHowever I remain just a member and am not on the comittee or anything like that.

Anyway I do have an insight into how things work. I can see how people get confused but it really is very simple (as I explained earlier) . The 'club shop' thing stems from the fact that A&S directly supports AI by supplying magazines at cost (i.e. what the printer charges A&S, thats all). In return AI supports the shop by putting its name behind it. I just dont see the contradiction. A&S is Dave Moores business, AI is the club, they both support each other. I know AI could not exist without A&S's help.

I know you are just clarifying things as you see it, but from my 10 or so[1] years of on and off membership/subscription things are far from being as clear as I'd expect.

Thats it Al, I just think its easy, others dont.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
19 years 5 months ago #10739 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Irelands so-called 'fundraiser'

Astronomy Ireland is not a company it is a registered charity as defined by something called the 'mcnaughton act' or something like that!!

Nitpicking I know but... if its a registered charity (or organisation granted charitable tax exemption as the lingo goes!) shouldn't it be listed on www.revenue.ie/doc/sn45.doc

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

• DaveGrennan
More
19 years 5 months ago #10740 by DaveGrennan

I certainly hope they will at least have hot drinks there. Well. i have handed over my 50 quid now, so i'll just hope for the best.

Ray

Ray I will mention this to those organising the SBQ. I just have a little voice in my head which says the insurers or Health and Safety people might not be too pleased with people stumbling around in the dark with hot drinks in their hands. I dont know this for certain. I will check and let you know.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds