K-Tec

'Are UFOs Real?'

More
19 years 3 months ago #12531 by Johnno
Replied by Johnno on topic Re: Are UFOs real?

Riiiiiight. Okay.

You know, Elvis says it's all a load of nonsese. :wink:

UFOs the new religion but a hell of a lot more expensive to follow than your local priest.

It's life Jim, but not as we know it. :lol:

Johnno

Kildare Astronomy Society
www.kildareastronomy.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12533 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Are UFOs real?

You know, Elvis says it's all a load of nonsese. :wink:

But Elvis, or whoever, could for example help by explaining the observations at Hessdalen.
www.hessdalen.org/index_e.shtml

Now whether this is evidence of alien flightpaths (whats so interesting about Norway?) or Soviet test flights, or "ball lightening", or mass hallucination, or something else, it was recorded. Where things like this happen it merits investigation in a scientifically correct way - from what I heard about Hessdalen they had a network of security cameras scouring the sky for anomalies - thats the sort of data to work with, not a holiday snap that looks remarkably like a frizbee...

Back to our friend in the US, if he can "summon UFO's", then regardless what they are it merits study. Or at least good science PR by proving him a fraud otherwise.

As for remote viewing, I'll dig through Journal of Scientific Exploration, if it is a sensibly reviewd journal it could be interesting, I had not heard of the journal before. As for the US military using it, well it would still be one of their more believable ideas... www.jonronson.com/goats_04.html books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/politicsphi...6121,1355882,00.html !

It's a funny old world. - Margaret Thatcher!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
19 years 3 months ago #12534 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: 'Are UFOs Real?'
Caught between two stools.

Being from an AI background I rather support the Simulation Hypothesis that I am an avatar in some vast simulation. We are beginning to develop them ourselves. At its lowest level Sims in the simulation game can sit at a computer and play The Sims. So, any UFOs are merely game players messing with us.

My other head says, "Okay this is for real and is not a sim." Then, I look around and see humans doing their best not to get off the planet and destroying it in the process. I also believe that any intelligent life form would be humanoid (or thereabouts - County Carlow not included) and live on a planet similar to ours. That planet would suffer from extinction in the same manner as ours will. Hence, though there might be many planets in the galaxy with intelligent life they do away with themselves before they can pay us a visit. I don't believe for one moment that humans will leave Earth.

Note also that UFOs were a phenomenon of the Cold War. Nothing heard of them prior to the Cold War and little since.

Somehow, this says a lot about the drop in church attendance in Ireland. I guess people need to believe in something. Having been down both paths ie dragged to Sunday school every week and having been a scientist I know that both paths lead nowhere but that belief and faith are what counts. If people had the belief to do something constructive on Earth rather than looking for something that doesn't exist in the sky then the world would be a better place.

Okay, I've weirded you out. Enough for now.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 3 months ago #12535 by Bill_H
Replied by Bill_H on topic Re: 'Are UFOs Real?'

Being from an AI background I rather support the Simulation Hypothesis that I am an avatar in some vast simulation. We are beginning to develop them ourselves. At its lowest level Sims in the simulation game can sit at a computer and play The Sims. So, any UFOs are merely game players messing with us.

My other head says, "Okay this is for real and is not a sim." Then, I look around and see humans doing their best not to get off the planet and destroying it in the process. I also believe that any intelligent life form would be humanoid (or thereabouts - County Carlow not included) and live on a planet similar to ours. That planet would suffer from extinction in the same manner as ours will. Hence, though there might be many planets in the galaxy with intelligent life they do away with themselves before they can pay us a visit. I don't believe for one moment that humans will leave Earth.

Note also that UFOs were a phenomenon of the Cold War. Nothing heard of them prior to the Cold War and little since.

Somehow, this says a lot about the drop in church attendance in Ireland. I guess people need to believe in something. Having been down both paths ie dragged to Sunday school every week and having been a scientist I know that both paths lead nowhere but that belief and faith are what counts. If people had the belief to do something constructive on Earth rather than looking for something that doesn't exist in the sky then the world would be a better place.

Wow! I'm not sure if it's me or you thats confused!!
There is plenty about UFO's that I read about both since and prior to the Cold War. I feel that the difference is that they (government/scientists) don't have the Cold War to blame it on anymore, so lets sweep it under the carpet. As far as I can tell, UFO's have been acknowledged as "something" for many centuries, and lets not forget what UFO stands for, it doesn't nescessarily stand for Alien Spaceship. I'm not a believer nor a disbeliever myself, at present I haven't been presented with sufficient evidence to convince me definately one way or the other yet.
I'm not sure if your remark about "intelegent life" is fascetious or serious, I hope not the latter as it shows a definite blinkered, unscientific and closed opinion. Probably the main problem with this subject is, there have been some people over the years who have obviously falsified such things, probably in the hope of making a penny or two out of it, but lets not have those people being responsible for us not being open minded.
Perhaps I should return to my previous signature, which is a quote I really do try my hardest to follow: "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer.
I nearly deleted his post after reading through it again as I thought, the way it's written you might take offence at it, but! to hell with it, I mean no offence, I'm from a friendly planet :D
Bill H.

Astronomers do it with the lights off.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12540 by James Butler
Replied by James Butler on topic Re: 'Are UFOs Real?'
The problem with most quacks is that they start off with a conclusion and then look for facts to fit it. Bad science.

UFOlogists start off with the belief that we have been visited by aliens and then go and look for the evidence. Bad science.

Scientific method is to observe a phenomena then to generate an hypothesis that explains the phenomena and then to rigorously test that hypothesis against known observations.

I would love to meet a UFOlogist who was actually a scientist. SETI apart as that is rigorous scientific activity.

James Butler

Astronomy Diary - astronomy-diary.blogspot.com/

More
19 years 3 months ago #12541 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: 'Are UFOs Real?'

Wow! I'm not sure if it's me or you thats confused!!
There is plenty about UFO's that I read about both since and prior to the Cold War. I feel that the difference is that they (government/scientists) don't have the Cold War to blame it on anymore, so lets sweep it under the carpet. As far as I can tell, UFO's have been acknowledged as "something" for many centuries, and lets not forget what UFO stands for, it doesn't nescessarily stand for Alien Spaceship. I'm not a believer nor a disbeliever myself, at present I haven't been presented with sufficient evidence to convince me definately one way or the other yet.
I'm not sure if your remark about "intelegent life" is fascetious or serious, I hope not the latter as it shows a definite blinkered, unscientific and closed opinion. Probably the main problem with this subject is, there have been some people over the years who have obviously falsified such things, probably in the hope of making a penny or two out of it, but lets not have those people being responsible for us not being open minded.
Perhaps I should return to my previous signature, which is a quote I really do try my hardest to follow: "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation." Herbert Spencer.
I nearly deleted his post after reading through it again as I thought, the way it's written you might take offence at it, but! to hell with it, I mean no offence, I'm from a friendly planet :D
Bill H.

methinks this UFO stuff is a pile of cobblers. why would they come all this way to gang probe a load of american rednecks, or when they are really bored practice surgery on their cattle?. people see what they want to see and you can't convince them otherwise. they need something to believe in no matter how strange. at the start of the 20th century they would be seeing angels or mary at lourdes. the cold war and and science fiction created another religion for them to believe in.

this whole area seems to be two different things mixed up with alot of urban legend thrown in for good measure. some of the sigthings are probably military expirements such as what goes on in area 51 aka dreamland. alot of these aircraft need to be tested secretly but it is hard to hide totally a secret doing 600+ miles an hour permanently. they use UFOs to hide these tests.

there is obviously some events which occur in the earth atmosphere such as ball lighting that need to be studied. people see these and immediately think UFO. this is because media and the culture has taught them to think like that. just cause it is unidentified it is not necessarily a little green man (or a grey one if that takes your fancy). i think alot of the sightings are people imagining things. whenever i see these reports it is nearly always someone in the middle of nowhere driving. they may see something they cant explain or maybe they just imagine it. it is a good way of getting your 15 minutes of fame. as for most pictures and film it is not very convincing. after all this time you think just one person could get a decent image. decent cameramen must be a rarer find than a LGM. if they really want to impress us they should just land on the lawn of the white house and be done with it. i dont think most people would die of shock and i am sure the worlds religions could cope.
stephen.

Time to create page: 0.124 seconds