UFO in focusing avi of moon

• eansbro
  • Topic Author
  • Red Giant
  • Red Giant
More
17 years 2 months ago #47774 by eansbro
UFO in focusing avi of moon was created by eansbro
This is an interesting piece of video footage accidently taken last month from Italy. He was focussing his 8 inch telescope at the time and came across this black object moving over the Moon. The orbit is fascinating as it doesn't show the typical linear movement that one expects. What is this object?

www.printink.it/astro/privato/ufo.zip

Eamonn A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #47775 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon
Very interesting video Eamonn. No idea what it is though.

More
17 years 2 months ago #47776 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon
Hi,

(split from other topic as that is 12 pages long now! and this looks interesting enough to have its own thread)

The object is black which leads me assume that it is somewhere in the Earths shadow; if it was near the moon it would be bright. I guess that an estimate of the angular size can be easily made. Assuming a diameter of 100m (assume that it's real a bit bigger than a 747 ~ 2 x the ISS) what altitude would that put it at? Another thing that would be interesting is to check what altitude that object would have to have assuming it was in an unpowered orbit and see what size that would give you. Having the moon in frame opens up a lot of options for calculations.

Unlikely to be a bit of dust either as there are dark pixels in the CCD frame that are stationary.

It is a bit suspicious that he just happened to be focusing on it though...

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 2 months ago #47778 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon
I'd say its a bug crawling over the his gear. :?

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

More
17 years 2 months ago #47780 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon

I'd say its a bug crawling over the his gear. :?

Oi! Less of your rational explanations :D

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 2 months ago #47782 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon
Hi Eamonn

Unfortunately I can’t open this file; I think the PC in my office needs serious upgrading! Eamonn, do you have any details of the type of camera that was attached to the 8” telescope by this person. For instance, I would be particularly interested if the camera was infrared sensitive as I am somewhat aware of what’s termed “AOP” (Anomalous Observational Phenomena) captured with such cameras in the near IR range from previous work completed initially by Ray Stanford’s “Starlight International”, also in the Hessdalen valley Norway by Dr. Massimo Teodorani and by Mexican Pedro Avila Rubio.
I haven’t seen the video (yet), it may have a simple explanation as some of the guys have stated, and it may require further analysis and study to determine a logical conclusion, identified or indeed unidentified without further data.
I therefore wonder with the advent of reasonably priced, widely available astronomical CCD and Video cameras (that are also IR sensitive) will other amateur astronomers record similar Anomalous Observational Phenomena or just bugs, if something of, let’s say, a high strangeness event was witnessed that perplexed the amateur astronomer that recorded it, what would he or she wish to do with this information (if anything)?

Clear skies
Mike

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

Time to create page: 0.107 seconds