K-Tec

UFO in focusing avi of moon

More
17 years 2 months ago #47797 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon

This is an interesting piece of video footage accidently taken last month from Italy. He was focussing his 8 inch telescope at the time and came across this black object moving over the Moon. The orbit is fascinating as it doesn't show the typical linear movement that one expects. What is this object?

www.printink.it/astro/privato/ufo.zip

Eamonn A

i would suggest a stray party ballon but that would be too sane an explanation.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 2 months ago #47803 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon

This is an interesting piece of video footage accidently taken last month from Italy. He was focussing his 8 inch telescope at the time and came across this black object moving over the Moon. The orbit is fascinating as it doesn't show the typical linear movement that one expects. What is this object?

www.printink.it/astro/privato/ufo.zip

Eamonn A

i would suggest a stray party ballon but that would be too sane an explanation.

Not actually a bad suggestion ... though I'd suggest a weather balloon rather than a party balloon. The object did rather seem to meander. It wasn't a very true path.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 2 months ago #47805 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Spot on the Moon
Hi All,
An Italian eclipse chaser has asked if we would look at a video and try and identify the object passing over the face of the moon. I have placed the video at the following link. www.ecliptomaniacs.com/ifas/070429-Unidentified-Object.avi

It is about 4.6mb, an avi file, and it is best to download it direct to your hard drive and watch at your leisure. The person who made the video was calibrating the focus on his scope when he noticed this object passing in front of the moon.
Just to start the ball rolling I think it is a dust mite in his optics! :D
The Italians have already looked extensively at weather baloons etc. and are still looking for an answer.
Thanks,
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
17 years 2 months ago #47807 by Greenflashman
Replied by Greenflashman on topic Spot on the moon
Just noticed that there is already a post on this in the General forum. I see no one has come up with a rational answer yet though.
Brian
I stand by my dust mite in his optics theory though.

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
17 years 2 months ago #47812 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Spot on the moon

Just noticed that there is already a post on this in the General forum. I see no one has come up with a rational answer yet though.
Brian
I stand by my dust mite in his optics theory though.

I beg to differ! Surely my weather balloon theory is at least rational!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 2 months ago #47813 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: UFO in focusing avi of moon
I have to say this is one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Lets look at it a little closer, this silhouette seems to scintillate with the surrounding lunar surface, although I'm not certain if it as much as the lunar surface. It its not as much this would suggest its an object in the atmosphere and relatively nearby.
The times and location given place the moon at about 35.5 degrees above the horizon, not very high, so causing more scintillation.

A number of things I'm pretty certain of from my own experience is that this is not dust in the system, it certainly isn't space debris as it would certainly not change direction and would have to be comparable if not bigger then the international space station to be seen as this big from the ground.

So, is it a spider in the telescope, I don't think so as it appears to scintillate (twinkle)
Is it a high altitude balloon, maybe
is it a UFO, definitely, but that doesn't mean its a space ship, just that it's unidentified.
I'm curious about the way it changed direction, its like it was in one air stream and then changed to another one of a different direction, behaving like a balloon might when ascending into higher air.

What do you think, am I totally off the wall ???

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds