Mt. Parnon - report

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #69292 by JohnMurphy
Mt. Parnon - report was created by JohnMurphy
I would like to thank all my new Greek family for the hospitality I was shown at Mt. Parnon in Greece. I was made to feel at home in so many ways. The countryside, the people, the food and the night skies are all incredible and beautiful, but for me the people were the best aspect of this trip. A heartfelt thanks to Vagelis and Kiriakee for looking after me so well, and to all my new friends - John, Leon, Adonis, Nikos, Tomas, Stella, Martha - so many more (sorry if I've not mentioned you but I am useless at remembering names).

I am not being paid by the Greek Tourism Board for what is to follow but if they wish to make a contribution then I won't complain. I will include only one sky photo (sorry - too busy looking through some fine telescopes). Some of the photos are landscape and people (sorry if this is not quite astronomy related but it might help the guys heading over in July and August to get a sense of what to expect).

First the Sky. Geeez - you've never seen anything like this. The Milky Way will enthrall you. I couldn't take my eyes off Scorpius and Sagitarius - truly spectacular. As for seeing - well on Sunday morning mag 14.2 galaxies were visible in an 8" reflector and the shadow of Io was seen on the belts of Jupiter - WOW!

First image is of the centre of our galaxy. I know there is a lot wrong with this shot - a lot of rotation on the left etc and focus could be a whole lot better, but I learned a lot from it and couldn't bear to crop Scorpius. 18mm, Canon 350D, ISO1600 4x30sec.

Bigger - farm4.static.flickr.com/3129/2579258188_2ef3517fe0_b.jpg

The following are just some of the pics that registered with me - so many to choose from - I apologise in advance for so many left out.

Joker in the pack.

Two of the best - Vagelis and Kiriakee

The gang

The Earthquake mag 6 fairly shook this place.

EQ6 mounts are soooo prevalent here .... must be good. so quiet....

Yours truly ........ Windswept and interesting??? - well, windswept anyway.

Leon......Nice guy.....

ATMers - watch out..

This ATM scope caught my attention... some beautiful attention to detail - Dimitris Baxevanakis handbuilt and machined all the parts in aircraft grade aluminium. Fabulous piece of kit deserving of a complete article in it's own right.

Although there isn't much wildlife there are plenty of lizards - and I came across a big tortoise in the woods, I kid you not... :D

OK - enough - for more detail and photos visit www.flickr.com/photos/jcmurphy

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 3 months ago #69294 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Mt. Parnon - report
:shock:
Awesome.
Thanks!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

More
16 years 3 months ago #69296 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Mt. Parnon - report
Fantastic!!, I cant wait, many thanks John for the pics.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
16 years 3 months ago #69298 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Mt. Parnon - report
Dear John,

Please accept my sincere apologies for not being at Mt Parnon this past weekend. June is a very frustrating month for imagers since it offers the shortest nights of the year (under 6 hrs) and is the primary reason I do not make the 300 km trip. In contrast, July is better and August/September are even better still where we approach nine hours of total darkness.

The Milky Way at Mt Parnon is very impressive. For someone showing up for the very first time, it is easy to be fooled that we have clouds overhead, for the Milky Way is indeed that impressive and bright.

If you were impressed with Mt Parnon, you would be even more impressed with Mt Helmos which is even closer to Athens and where skies are supposed to be above mag 7!

Here is my "first light" photo for my Canon EOS 300D about three years ago and which was meant to be a test exposure and which ended up being published in S&T as a full-page photo in the gallery section: www.perseus.gr/Astro-Milky-Way-20050710.htm ... not bad for a single exposure meant to be a test shot.

Anyway, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your trip here and I sincerely hope you make it here again soon.

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

• JohnMurphy
  • Topic Author
  • Super Giant
  • Super Giant
More
16 years 3 months ago #69302 by JohnMurphy
Replied by JohnMurphy on topic Re: Mt. Parnon - report
Anthony,
So sorry not to have met you. I wanted to extend an invitation for you to speak at one of our IAS meetings, I am sure we would have a good attendance from all of the other Irish clubs for such a talented astrophotographer. Please contact Vagelis and myself if you are interested.
Even your 'test shots' put us to shame.......... :)

Clear Skies,
John Murphy
Irish Astronomical Society
Check out My Photos

More
16 years 3 months ago #69307 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Mt. Parnon - report
Awesome shots and report there John, very jealous here! :D

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds