More
16 years 10 months ago #55300 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re: IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2007
Yep, well done Deirdre.
You do truely great work.

Congrats again.

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 10 months ago #55302 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2007
well done Deirdre, very well deserved for all the hard work you do.

• DeirdreKelleghan
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
  • IFAS Social Media Officer
More
16 years 10 months ago #55306 by DeirdreKelleghan
Replied by DeirdreKelleghan on topic post
I was truly knocked sideways yesterday when I got John Murphy’s e mail, telling me about this conspiracy, to hold me accused of practicing good astronomy. I was then so floored by the avalanche of good will from all over Ireland, and elsewhere, that I was without words either written or otherwise for almost a whole day.
That kind of silence is not usual in my daily life so it will take me a bit of time to get up to speed again.

I could not give enough thanks to the astronomers (IAS and others) who come out to bring the Irish night alive to children in schools, to people on the streets, to scout groups, neighbourhood groups indeed anyone who turned up at these soirees with the night sky.

It’s the same good will to go out and do outreach that is in your messages to me on this forum. Perhaps we can do something collectively from time to time around Ireland.
If we did a pilot project that worked in 2008 we could build on it for 2009IYA perhaps another Astronomy Day try.

We don’t need a big astronomy rally, with insurance problems and crowd control problems. Let’s do lots of small things, simple things like turning up at a group and showing them something. The group is already there, like Brownies, Scouts or Youth Groups.
You make an arrangement that if it’s clear you may pop down at short notice and show the moon or some other delight.

I am calling it Drop in Astronomy, I have tried it and it works well. I hope to drop in to different groups after Christmas.

As regards my sketches, there is no better learning curve in my opinion. To sketch detail the way I like to sketch detail lands my eye
and my mind on the subject.
However I really do think you do not need to be good at drawing to learn from trying it out on astronomical subjects.
I hope to do some sketching/learning astronomy with some girl guides next week, a bit of a try out, constellations et cetra.

Thanks for all your uplifting and fun comments.

Thanks to Stephen Ryan who is always smiling
Michael O’ for the lovely views in your scopes, bring on the purple sun.( sounds like a song )
Kieran nice to meet you at Birr, thanks
Trevor thank you :) ; see you in Galway
Bart, thank you for your work on the boards and for your words.
Albert keep putting the lights out, thank for your comments.
Anthony Ay you must come to Ireland sometime and give a talk on your quality images.
John Murphy thanks for your great support and I look forward to your Firhouse Star Party after Christmas.
EPK thanks for the lift over to the Castle, sorry I lost you then in the fog
Paul Lunartic perhaps you may join us in the New Year for a public event
Frank Ryan nice to meet you at Whirlpool, see you in Galway
Seanie bring back Realta in the New Year :lol: Tullamore Canada and beyond

Paul, I have enjoyed your super Holmes images, there are so many good Holmes captures we should have an IFAS Holmes exhibition in the New Year. Sounds like The Ideal Holmes Exhibition :D

Michael Murphy thanks for your great support in public outreach

John H thank you also for your interest and positive support in public outreach
Philip since Holmes has left the building perhaps I could fall into M42 some chilly evening instead. :shock:
David L thanks for the look at Mars in Birr, great scope
Eamonn, that cherry picker idea still sounds like a good plan for the Veil
Mia, thanks and I have to say it was great to see so many astronomers down from NI and I hope to see you all back for Galway and Cosmos.

Dave Mc I must check out blinking and see if I can find anything for you, thanks. 8-)
Paul Fitz thanks a lot for your kind words
John F thanks for your energy, and support and fun, good luck with the exams.
This is a bit long but then I have been quiet for a whole day :roll:

“No one can predict the future. All we can do is choose our contribution to the circumstances which, perhaps, will help shape the future.” Don Michael

Deirdre Kelleghan
Irish Astronomical Society

More
16 years 10 months ago #55311 by nectarine
Replied by nectarine on topic Re: IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2007
Congratulations Deirdre on this well deserved award.
Best Wishes from all at Deise Astronomy Society,
Bernie (secretary of D.A.S.)

Bernie Foley
IFAS Treasurer

More
16 years 10 months ago #55325 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2007
Well done Deirdre! Very much deserved! :D

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
16 years 10 months ago #55327 by phoenix
Replied by phoenix on topic Re: IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2007
Prior to actually meeting Deirdre, I was surprised to find that I knew her brother and sister in law, who briefed me on how dedicated she was. When I met up at the Whirlpool during the IFAS council meeting I realised they were not wrong. Despite a full schedule of other activities she agreed to take on even more.

It takes a dedicated person to go out and observe on every clear night and an even more exceptional person to actually spread the word with such enthusiasm.

A tribute well deserved.

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds