K-Tec

NEWSFLASH:Dave McDonald discovers Asteroid 2008TM9

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73558 by dmcdona
Well, what can I say?

It has been an absolute whirlwind of day... I knew ye folks would all be delighted (and thanks a million for all your kind words) but really I only thought it might just creep into the Kildare Times if I was lucky.

Guess again... The reaction has been overwhelming - really huge. I have to thank all the folks here, all the folks who have called, emailed and texted me today with all your good wishes. I really do appreciate it and so does Fiona.

Through all of this though, and I'll repeat what I've said before, I would not have done any of the things I have without a lot of help from many many people. Irish amateur astronomy is thriving and it is down to the selfless acts of ye folks. People are willing to freely give up so much of their time, energy and knowledge that it would almost be hard *not* to do some good work in this field.

In the case of 2008TM9, I really, really, really have to say that Dave Grennan and Andreas Doppler (both of J41) *must* take a huge portion of the credit for getting this discovery. They both spent hours checking, re-checking, researching and analysing ad infinitum to make sure this was real. Through their help and encouragement, this would not have happened. Period. Also, I have to especially thank Eamonn Ansbro for all the help, guidance and motivation he has given me over the years. So lads, thanks and please take a well deserved bow and this discovery also belongs to you.

At today's press conference, it was great to see David Asher on the video link but a real shame when the technology got the better of us. Leo was brilliant at promoting the field of amateur astronomy and spoke passionately about teaching science and engineering to kids. It was really great to see a couple of the AI lads there too and Andreas arrived to give some much-needed technical explanations. Paul Fitz - I promise not to tell your boss ;) It was great you made it.

Thanks to Terry Moseley, John Flannery and Andy McCrea for spreading the word and in case any of you were wondering, the name of the asteroid is purely arbitrary and the letters weren't chosen by Terry ;) But its a nice coincidence all the same!

One final special mention. When the discovery notification came back from the MPC, the only people who knew were Dave G, Andreas, Fiona and me. Holly (the dog) had an idea something big was happening but she was probably thinking about dog biscuits... When I got up this morning, the very first person I rang was John McConnell - John has been, and continues to be an inspiration to many many people. When he kindly cited my name for an asteroid, I figured that I really had to repay him with a discovery. Of course, I wasn't expecting to do it so soon but John, this is your discovery too and you keep right on motivating and inspiring everyne in amateur astronomy in Ireland.

I'll be lashing together more detailed information over the next day or two, including images (I'll try and post one tonight to keep ye going) and I'll post details here.

In the meantime, there might be another spot on RTE1 nine-o'clock news tonight, an article in tomorrow's Irish Independent and I'll be on the Dave Fanning show Monday night (RTE Radio 1).

Once again, thanks for all your warm wishes and let us all enjoy the moment.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73559 by Keith g
Well said Dave, just saw you and all the folks over the RTE news at 6, I'm going to watch you again at 9 ;) My wife is now convinced even I need a new set up - welll done dave !!!!! Happy Days (and nights) :laugh:

Keith..

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73560 by Frank Ryan
I nearly choked on my Guinness in the pub tonight
when I saw Dave's mug up on the screen during the 6 o clock news!

Holy smokes Dave!!
This is awesome!!!

All you can say is congratulations and
a humongous well done!!!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73561 by DaveGrennan
Dave your way too kind with your words. Today is your day and I can assure you that nobody is happier for you than Andreas and myself. Personally it was you who got me interested in all this astrometry lark with your infecious enthusiasm. My hope is that this discovery will inspire others to get involved. I suspect some may feel that a lot of this is way too complex, but as Dave will testify, nothing could be further from the truth. You need nothing more than a scope and CCD even a dslr and a piece of software that costs $25. Even those with dobs and the right CCD can get involved.

So once again, Dave considering what I mention above, it is entirely appropriate that you have broken the 160year hoodoo and I'm looking forward to what promises to be a great year for Irish asteroidal discoveries.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73562 by phoenix
Not one bit shocked by the news since I knew you'd bag one soon. Absolutely fabulous mate and lets hope its an opened door to many more (all misses though since you'd hate to have to name the doomsday one;) ).

Kieran
16" ODK (incoming), Mesu Mount 200, APM TMB 80mm, SXV H16, SXV H9
J16 An Carraig Observatory
ancarraigobservatory.co.uk/

• DaveGrennan
More
16 years 2 weeks ago #73566 by DaveGrennan
In case anyone missed it heres the link to Dave's piece on 6 One news;

www.rte.ie/news/2008/1009/6news_av.html?2434150,null,230

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds