K-Tec

NEWSFLASH:Dave McDonald discovers Asteroid 2008TM9

• michaeloconnell
  • Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #73633 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re:NEWSFLASH:Dave McDonald discovers Asteroid 2008TM9
Just to let people know, Dave will be giving a talk about his recent exploits to TAS in Tullamore on Tuesday 4th November at 8pm. Everyone is welcome to attend. Further details will be posted closer to the time.
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by michaeloconnell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 years 1 week ago #73634 by albertw
John Murphy wrote:

Well done Dave - I overheard some guys in work talking about this today, having heard you on the radio.

Funnily enough I was asked about the discovery by a few people at the Shamrock Rovers match last night! Good to see so people who usually have no interest in astronomy asking about the discovery.

The stacked image on the website really shows how faint 19+ is. At some point I'd love to see the original images and how you distinguised the asteroid from the backgound noise! I'm sure I'd have missed that blinking images!

Congratulations again!

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
16 years 1 week ago #73639 by jhoare
Next thing we know he'll disover Planet X!

Seriously Dave, many congratulations. You should seriously consider naming it for your wife - how many couples in the world would there be who have their names on two asteroids?

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
16 years 1 week ago #73657 by Paul FitzGerald
Replied by Paul FitzGerald on topic Re:NEWSFLASH:Dave McDonald discovers Asteroid 2008TM9
PhilipLardner wrote:

What's doubly amazing is that Dave G was only just pipped to the post by LINEAR on another *two* asteroids!!!! How amazing is that????? :laugh:

Well, well done to both Daves!!

Phil.

That is truely amazing. And I really feel that this point shouldn't be at all overlooked. Dave G., on foot of doing the necessary ground work, in his own right discovered two asteroids. It is just so unfortunate that a computer gets the acculade instead. :(

Paul Fitz
MAC Treasurer

'Astronomy shows how small and insignificant and rare and precious we all are.' - Contact.

More
16 years 1 week ago - 16 years 1 week ago #73658 by dave_lillis
I was reading the Sun yesterday about your discovery Dave, in it was details of your asteroid and a other recent ones, then it went through other previously discovered asteroids, then halleys comet and the Armageddon asteroid which they mention would have destroyed all life on earth if it hadn't been fictional.:laugh:

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 16 years 1 week ago by dave_lillis.

More
16 years 1 week ago #73671 by dmcdona
For anybody in the Louth/Meath areas, I'll be on LMFM around 20:15 tonight. You can get it on 95.8 or on the web at www.LMFM.ie

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds