K-Tec

STS 127 SHUTTLE VISIBLE OVER IRELAND 19 MINUTES AFTER LIFTOF

More
15 years 3 months ago #79498 by dmcdona
Myself and Fiona watched the launch on NASA TV then went outside 15 mins later (Clarinbridge) with a cup of tea and ciggie on the go.

At about 23:22 we saw the shuttle pass about 30 deg up going in a W to SE direction.

The brightness was incredible - I've never seen anything like it. Even a plane with its landing lights on would be hard pressed to be brighter.

It sure powered off into the distance in less than a minute and was gone very quickly.

We saw the shuttle (very bright white object) followed closely (a couple degress) behind by a slightly dimmer, but still bright, red object. Was that the main engine?

That was one heck of a sight - rare enough I'd imagine so we're really chuffed we saw it. Really brings home what the shuttle represents and all the folks it takes to get it up there. It'll be a shame to see it retire.

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #79499 by Greenflashman
Don't forget the ISS is back over us at 2340
Brian

"There is a theory that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. Another theory states that this has already happened."

More
15 years 3 months ago #79500 by Derek Davey
Class, My first time ever to see something like this,

the shuttle and the tank were very clear in my binos.

just got about 10 seconds, very cloudy here in sligo,

clear skys, Derek

• carlobeirnes
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
  • IFAS Sponsor & Astronomer of the Year 2013
More
15 years 3 months ago #79501 by carlobeirnes
OMG what a site that was great The tank burning up in the atmosphere was amaizing.

Carl O'Beirnes,
J09 Balbriggan Observatory.

Carl O’Beirnes,
Scopes and Space Ltd,
Unit A8 Airside Enterprise Centre,
Swords, Co Dublin,
Ireland.
www.scopesandspace.ie/
www.facebook.com/scopesandspace
twitter.com/ScopesandSpace
www.youtube.com/user/ScopesandSpace

More
15 years 3 months ago #79502 by Seanie_Morris
Awesome! I swear I could see the light of the external tank change slightly as it moved, probably as a result of slight tumbling?

I'm doing a radio show at the moment (see my sig) and the amount of listeners chiming in since 10pm tonight to talk about it, and STILL texting in and calling in about it is even more awesome! I'm going to announce this site to redirect them... ;)

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
15 years 3 months ago #79503 by michaeloconnell
ISS in T minus two minutes...

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds