K-Tec

STS 127 SHUTTLE VISIBLE OVER IRELAND 19 MINUTES AFTER LIFTOF

More
15 years 3 months ago #79533 by mjc
For those interested in NLC displays it is worth noting that some see a correlation in space shuttle launches and NLC formation as the shuttle injects water vapour into the atmosphere above the thermosphere.

See the following article for one such reference
www.agu.org/sci_soc/prrl/prrl0316.html

Apparently it takes about 24hrs (after launch) for the water vapour to migrate to the poles as NLCs.

While the amount of water produced by the shuttle is small (by global scales) these clouds are very thin so the x-tons released can present a large surface /reflecting area.

Not being personally that interested in NLCs I don't know more than this but it might be of interest to others.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #79535 by ftodonoghue
THat was a fantastic sight. absolutely stunning. Just wondering if it was just me but did anyone else see the shuttle flare up briefly for about half a second or so towards the end of its pass!..maybe firing of an engine?

Cheers
Trevor

• eamonn125
  • Topic Author
  • Proto Star
  • Proto Star
More
15 years 3 months ago #79536 by eamonn125
spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/shut...s/jsc2009e123559.jpg

This are the 7 Astronauts who launched last night.Its great to see all the interest for this mission,I can tell you,thanks to your site,and its members,that word is spreading around the world about the sightings already.

Keep the photos coming !

More
15 years 3 months ago #79538 by Neill
Hi all,

cloudy up North so missed the show. I see there are passes of the shuttle on the next few evenings. The times for these passes vary whether you look at heavens above or NASA Real Time page. For instance tonight over Belfast, HA have the pass at 23:00 whereas NASA have it half an hour earlier. I take the NASA page would be more reliable??

Neill

More
15 years 3 months ago #79539 by SpookyKatt
I'm over in Edinburgh and could see the the Shuttle
and External Fuel Tank, it was excellent as was watching the launch on the web :woohoo: .

Kathleen

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #79540 by dave_lillis
Nice video Frank,
Does anyone know where the tank burnt up over, or was it burning up as it passed over?, if so I thought it would have left a trail of some sorts ?

I'll never look at a shuttle launch on TV the same way again !

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by dave_lillis.

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds