K-Tec

STS 127 SHUTTLE VISIBLE OVER IRELAND 19 MINUTES AFTER LIFTOF

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #79514 by Keith g
Hi All, I'm just in from viewing one of the most incredible sights I have witnessed in our night sky in many years. I watched the launch of the the Space Shuttle Endeavour live on BBC news, and timed my watch expecting the shuttle to pass over Ireland some 19 minutes later. I spotted the shuttle moving very fast indeed in the southwest at 11.22pm amongst the broken clouds. It shone with the colour and brightness of Jupiter, and I could see the orange external fuel tank whick looked quite like the planet Mars falling away from the shuttle only about a degree or so apart in the night sky, both moving at incredible speed.

I quickly managed to get this 10 second shot before the both dissappeared behind the clouds. It ended all too quickly, but a sight I will never forget.

Was,nt it a super sight !
Keith.

www.flickr.com/photos/79652716@N00/3724408751/sizes/o/
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Keith g.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #79516 by iridium.flare
Lads, I forgot this was tonight (shame on me).

However myself and three friends were just emerging from the cinema and just happened to look up and just catch the two points of light about two seconds before they disappeared behind the buildings across the street. Lucky or what?! None of us had ever seen the shuttle before so it was great to finally check that one off the list.

There were quite a number of people outside the cinema doors (opening night of Harry Potter - there were loads of people there) looking at it too and wondering what it was, and one guy that was enthusiastically telling us all. Might have ensnared a few casual observers perhaps.

So that's my first NLC display last night, and first shuttle tonight. Can't wait to see what tomorrow night brings! :P

Dwane.

It's worse than that, it's physics Jim!

More
15 years 3 months ago #79517 by mjc
Guys - I saw it - I was a little skeptical about the comments regarding seeing the fuel tank in pre-launch postings - but a big WOW. I See why there was so much interest - It blew me away.
It appeared to be very fast - but that's probably a perception due to rarity of event (surely it can't be any faster than the ISS which it is going to service) - but brightness and colour of external fuel tank was well beyond what I'd imagined I would see.

Thanks for the thread...

Mark

More
15 years 3 months ago - 15 years 3 months ago #79518 by dave_lillis
OMG !! :woohoo:that was just amazing, !!
The brightness of the shuttle and that red colour of the tank was totally unmistakable!! and to top it all off the ISS passing a few mins later. I used the 12" to track the ISS and got some fab views of it.
The shuttle in binocs was not distinguished but I did think the tank had an elongated looking shape.
What an event filled night it has been !!!
Please tell me someone got a video of the shuttle/tank pass B)

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by dave_lillis.

More
15 years 3 months ago #79519 by Derek Davey
Seanie_Morris wrote:

I think this thread has brought on a record number of registered users at one time this month - 19 at one stage I think it was...

Seanie.

I was just thinking the same thing myself, its great to see it,

the astronomy forum over on boards is flet out aswell

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
15 years 3 months ago #79520 by DaveGrennan
Absolutely amazing guys. Blew me away. The clour of the external tank was stunning. Hope you all got to see it. If not heres a short video I caught

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds