K-Tec

BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

More
19 years 3 months ago #12440 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

Is the CD jus for Windows heads or is the content in some crossplatform format?

If not cross platform does it at least have stuff for the Mac?

States on the CD cover- "interactive PC & MAC CD-ROM". It uses Quicktime so I doubt it'd work on *nix.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12441 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re:

I'll buy the next few issues and see what happens....excellent so far though :D

Keith..

I was thinking the same thing. Try out the first 3 or 4 and then sub if they keep up the quality.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
19 years 3 months ago #12442 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

Is the CD jus for Windows heads or is the content in some crossplatform format?

If not cross platform does it at least have stuff for the Mac?

States on the CD cover- "interactive PC & MAC CD-ROM". It uses Quicktime so I doubt it'd work on *nix.

If it uses Quicktime it will work perfectly on *nix! MPlayer will work very happily with Quicktime files.

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
19 years 3 months ago #12446 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

If it uses Quicktime it will work perfectly on *nix! MPlayer will work very happily with Quicktime files.

Bart.

Which just goes to show how much I know ;)

Steve
--

More
19 years 3 months ago #12447 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine
I've probably gone about this magazine completely wrong, as I've subscribed already. I'm not thrilled with the sub to be honest, as I saw the magazine on shelves last Monday, while my issue only popped through the letter box (with July's S&T - great weekends reading!) last friday. The price is expensive and at the moment I wouldn't renew my sub; just pick up issues if I need to.

The CD is a nice bonus and there are a few things that are on it that make it worthwhile. One problem I noticed though is that the version of Virtual Moon Atlas they provide has been replaced by a newer version available online for at least six months. I only noticed this little hitch as I've been using VMA for ages, and it makes me wonder if newer versions of all the other programmes are also available.

Content is very mixed in terms of target audiencewith plenty of stuff for beginners (including the atrocious Moon map) as well as advanced amateurs. I'm not a huge Moore fan so the fact that he has written an article is not an immediate draw for me. His Lunar article is interesting reading, even though he restates his claim on Mare Orientale which is, to put it politely, disputable.

One major concern I have is that the magazine may be very parochial and deal only with UK clubs, events and societies. Hopefully that won't be that case. Lets hope they remain consistent and that we see some more great magazines from them.

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 3 months ago #12479 by dpower
Replied by dpower on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine
There's a good number of Sky at night progs available on the BBC website.
www.bbc.co.uk/science/space/spaceguide/s...night/proginfo.shtml

Pity the magazines website is so poor. Hopefully they'll add some more info as the the mag becomes more popular.

This board coupled with the rest of the internet certainly keeps me occupied. Not a big magazine buyer but it certainly sounds like it's worth a try.

Guess I'll just have to buy a copy.

IFAS web team

Time to create page: 0.122 seconds