K-Tec

BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

More
19 years 3 months ago #12481 by lionsden
Replied by lionsden on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

One major concern I have is that the magazine may be very parochial and deal only with UK clubs, events and societies. Hopefully that won't be that case. Lets hope they remain consistent and that we see some more great magazines from them.

Does seem to be good,well put together magazine so far. However, I have to agree with Shane on the above, with the competition and the subscription offer (3 free issues) only open to U.K. residents.

Subsciption is a little expensive at approx. €8.33 an issue, against €7.42 off the shelf. No incentive there!

The software on the CD this time does all appear to be free on the web anyway, however, downloading these for us 56k'ers can be a mite tiresome. Much handier to have it all on a CD!

Overall, I like it and will get issue 2 when it comes out. Who knows, a few years from now, issue one may be worth a few quit as a collectors item... :D

Leo @ Lionsden
Perhap because light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 years 3 months ago #12492 by Macros42
Replied by Macros42 on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

His Lunar article is interesting reading, even though he restates his claim on Mare Orientale which is, to put it politely, disputable.

What's disputable about it?

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
19 years 3 months ago #12493 by spculleton
Replied by spculleton on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

What's disputable about it?

Whether or not he actually discovered it. Check out the LPOD below for some previous discoveries of it. Of course, it's kind of like Uranus. Herschel wasn't the first to see it or plot it, but he was the first to correctly identify it as a planet, as far as I know.

www.lpod.org/LPOD-2004-10-01.htm

Shane Culleton.

Dozo Yoroshiku Onegai Shimasu

More
19 years 3 months ago #12495 by Macros42
Interesting. But it does appear that he gave it it's current name - that's something I suppose.

Steve
--
"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" -- Albert Einstein

More
19 years 3 months ago #12522 by Macros42
For anyone in Maynooth - I was talking to the owner of the newsagents in the Glenroyal SC. He got in 8 copies of this mag this month but sent them back because he didn't think there'd be an interest. He's going to put one aside for me next month and will put the rest on the shelves to see if people want them. Issue 2 should be in on the 20th. Might be handier than travelling to Eason's to get it for anyone local (and I prefer to buy off independant retailers anytime I can anyway).

Steve
--

More
19 years 3 months ago #12543 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: BBC's New Sky at Night Magazine

For anyone in Maynooth - I was talking to the owner of the newsagents in the Glenroyal SC. He got in 8 copies of this mag this month but sent them back because he didn't think there'd be an interest. He's going to put one aside for me next month and will put the rest on the shelves to see if people want them. Issue 2 should be in on the 20th. Might be handier than travelling to Eason's to get it for anyone local (and I prefer to buy off independant retailers anytime I can anyway).

Cool ... will nip down and have a look even if I don't decide to buy!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.125 seconds