Astronomy Ireland charging for events

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 4 months ago #45914 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
removed content, so as not to get into any legallities.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45916 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
In terms of the European Union it strikes me that that kind of restriction is clearly anti-competitive and totally contrary to the principle of free trade within the Single Market. No distributor should be allowed to restrict portions of the EU market in this way, and from what I've been able to glean from the regulations and legislation it probably is illegal. But apparently it's only policed once it's shown to be so in court.

Unfortunately there is no clearly defined policing body to report this to and pursuing a case independently would be too darn expensive because one would have to hire the lawyers. I have tried to find an answer to this problem myself by contacting various government agencies but in the end I gave it up because half of the bodies I contacted for information didn't even reply and the ones that did referred me to the ones that didn't! The need to prove a practice like this illegal in court before it will be policed makes a mockery of our trading laws, both European and Irish.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45919 by ayiomamitis
Replied by ayiomamitis on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

In terms of the European Union it strikes me that that kind of restriction is clearly anti-competitive and totally contrary to the principle of free trade within the Single Market. No distributor should be allowed to restrict portions of the EU market in this way, and from what I've been able to glean from the regulations and legislation it probably is illegal. But apparently it's only policed once it's shown to be so in court.

We have the SAME problem in Greece where someone else was selling Celestron equipment at more attractive prices than the official representative. The latter did some work behind the scenes and the former was stopped in the sales of Celestron equipment (regrettably).

The official representative has prices which are not "normal" since he is the only game in town as far as Celestron equipment is concerned. He also threatens those looking to buy Celestron from elsewhere that he will NOT help in the service of their equipment if the need arises in the future and even though he is obligated as official representative.

In my opinion, ALL of this is the fault of Celestron and Meade who have setup a monopoly situation in every country. I am NOT speaking about AI's practices, for I have NO experience with them (positive or negative). However, the situation in Greece has angered MANY people and it is Celestron who is losing in the final analysis since these people (amateurs) are turning elsewhere.

The same applies with our local Meade representative ... obscene pricing and same threats about a lack of service for those buying elsewhere. In fact, our Meade rep is even worse since he is not in a position to supply ANY sort of technical support and he simply directs queries and questions to other amateurs who have the same equipment and perhaps "they may know".

It is a very sad situation here in Greece!!!! :oops: :evil:

Anthony Ayiomamitis
Athens, Greece
www.perseus.gr

More
17 years 4 months ago #45921 by Perseus
Replied by Perseus on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

I approached the only other dealer i know,Andy Mc Cre, but he said he cannot sell celestron in the republic as it is under AI durastiction ( sounds like a cop show i know!), and he has been reported, by David Moore in the past for selling celestrons to people in the Republic. If he is reported, Celestron will not be his supplier anymore.

Surely if you drive up to Andy's shop in Bangor (about 2 hrs from Dublin) purchase a scope, put it in your car & drive home. Andy would not be selling a celestron in the Republic.

Regards, Damon

More
17 years 4 months ago #45922 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
I bet you all the stars in the universe if someone from the north wanted to buy a scope off David Moore he wouldnt refuse!!! :D

Personally i think it should be fair trade! Whoever wants to sell products to a certain area,let them! Let the customers decide who they want to buy from! So many companies are shipping worldwide! Andy should set up an online shop! There is nothing illegal about shipping to the republic! America to ireland thro celestron sure but that shouldnt inhibit well-to-do people like Andy Mc Crea! He offers great scopes at low end prices! Where as its quite the opposite at AI! a 70mm firstscope for €300(and this is a special deal???)! Are you joking me! And a celestron 114mmGT! Was €1015 now half price at €550! Ridiculous

Those prices are a great way of putting an amateur off astronomy!!!

I have nothing against the members of AI! I appreciate the amount of work ye put in and the amount of your free time you sacrifice but over-charging on equipment isnt the way ahead! Just because theres no other competition apart from local camera shops!

Ahhhh i feel better! Matthew
ps sorry for all the ranting!

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 4 months ago #45923 by fguihen
Replied by fguihen on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
removed content, so as not to get into any legallities.

Time to create page: 0.106 seconds