K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 4 months ago #44985 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
*by the way, moved to the General Forum*

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #44986 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic IFAS - A&S/AI
Dear fellow astronomers

I really like this forum and its many enlightening discussions on aspects of astronomy and related issues. One can honestly learn so much here from the people that are only to willing to divulge their knowledge both practical and theoretical, this I am thankful for indeed. By the same token I have learned much through Astronomy Ireland and its members (of which I am also a member); this too I am thankful for.

Instead of yet another disgruntled AI/A&S and IFAS post, of which there have been sadly a few over the years, why can’t this situation for astronomy in our country not be sorted out in an good-natured way through official (or indeed unofficial) positive dialogue and mediation between both parties and perhaps agree to a positive conclusion for all astronomers in Ireland. If this has been tried already and failed then please try again, if not, then please, think about it, these would be the first important steps!

If this is too much to ask then we should perhaps look back at and important post by Bart (please read carefully) on Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:28 pm and heed his final sentence:
“We have now heardd what all sides have to say so I am now locking this thread before things get horribly out of hand”.

Perhaps a short term solution for a long term problem but in my opinion it doesn’t have to be like this, there is always recourse and hope, I live in hope!

Clear skies
Mike

“"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope".
Martin Luther King, Jr.

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 4 months ago #44990 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

Instead of yet another disgruntled AI/A&S and IFAS post, of which there have been sadly a few over the years, why can’t this situation for astronomy in our country not be sorted out in an good-natured way through official (or indeed unofficial) positive dialogue and mediation between both parties and perhaps agree to a positive conclusion for all astronomers in Ireland. If this has been tried already and failed then please try again, if not, then please, think about it, these would be the first important steps!

I couldn't agree more. I'm trying to do my part to get us to a situation where at the very least things get to a 'live and let live' state. Personally, I'd like to see things go further, I'd like to see users post about an AI event without it causing an 'incident' and I'd like to see Astronomy & Space Ltd. publish details of events organised by non-AI clubs.

But, at the very least, an end to open hostilities is needed. People will disagree. That is normal. I'm not saying that people should all like AI/A&S, that won't happen, but at least not actively hate them and keep trying to use IFAS as a way of getting at AI/A&S.

I get very grumpy when people suggest IFAS policy be changed to work against AI/A&S, in my view that's missing the point, IFAS should be solely focused on providing members of member clubs with the best possible service, not trying to thwart others.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 4 months ago #44992 by Mike
Replied by Mike on topic IFAS - A&S/AI
Dear Bart

I really appreciate your efforts and understandings. In my opinion you are one of those key people that could help bridge the gap in this divide and make that hope a reality one day for all Irish astronomers and particularly for those younger people that will follow us into the future with this fantastic hobby!

I never liked that old saying “the sky is the limit” simply because I think it limits our imagination and investigation of this vast universe. Therefore, I think “the sky is not the limit” for IFAS nor AI-A&S when such a division of differences is diminished to an insignificant point.
The potential to expand from that point, based on what we have learned from and moved on from, could show great positive potential in ways we cannot envisage at the moment. In other words, I think the skills, knowledge and know-how of both parties when combined and working holistically (emphasizing the importance of the whole and the interdependence of its parts) could give a person really magnificent help in so many ways with their hobby!

Clear skies
Mike

I am not sure if there is anything I can do to help resolve this situation Bart, but help I will if asked!

I83 Cherryvalley Observatory

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say; "I WANT TO SEE THE MANAGER".

More
17 years 4 months ago #45004 by dave_lillis
Replied by dave_lillis on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
I'm all on for zero trouble and hassle, but one thing that annoys me about discussions like this is that we havent got a clue how the top people in AI/AS feel.
So we can trash out yet another idea to death using our valuable time, but could be wasting our time as they might want nothing to do with us.

So until I know they want to have a good relationship, then I'm not going to wreck my head (once again) on this.

Dave L. on facebook , See my images in flickr
Chairman. Shannonside Astronomy Club (Limerick)

Carrying around my 20" obsession is going to kill me,
but what a way to go. :)
+ 12"LX200, MK67, Meade2045, 4"refractor

More
17 years 4 months ago #45008 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Well said Dave!

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds