K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 5 months ago #44895 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Good idea AL. Although I have some recollection that YT have some kind of time or size limit on files. I did find a great joomla component which allows streaming direct from your own webiste. I used recently to stream a video of asteroid vv2 from my own site. Thanks for that idea. I'll make a point of looking into it.

Actually, youre right. There is a limit, I don't know if its size or length. google _might_ not have the same restriction. I guess it comes down to budget, if you can afford to host videos yourself then great; if you cant then splitting a talk into a couple of youtube vids would still be better than nothing.

Must look into joomla, a few people have mentioned that to me recently.

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 5 months ago #44896 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Query? 3600+ members? The latest mag has a feature on the 10,000th member. Does that mean we lost 6000+ members :cry:

The 10,000th member thing was a celebration of the 10,000th person to join. That has been over a very long time. When I joined AI back somewhere like 1992 I was member 1026 or something like that. Occassionally I see some of the reasons people give for not renewing. You get all sorts. I'd say the single biggest reason give is people who say they don't get time to get involved anymore or even read the mag or the persons circumstances have changed etc. Another factor is back in around the mid nineties sometime (can't remember exactly) The old 'Astronomy Ireland' mag went off the shelves for some considerable time. This lost AI a lot of members. It took a few years after A&S mag came out to start to turn that around. In the last couple of years the 'paid up' subs trend has been upward.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 5 months ago #44897 by DaveGrennan

Must look into joomla, a few people have mentioned that to me recently.

It's da biz AL. I don't think I'd ever be crazy enough to develop a website the old way again.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 4 months ago #44963 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
I was gonna write a reply here detailing my views yet again. But I decided that would be a waste of time. I've been thinking about writing a reflective piece on all this for my blog for ages now. This thread finally sparked me into action. In case anyone cares, here's how I feel about the whole thing: www.bartbusschots.ie/blog/?p=418

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

• DaveGrennan
More
17 years 4 months ago #44965 by DaveGrennan
Thats a very interesting read Bart, a lot of info in there which I certainly didn't know before. I'd love to sit down with you over a beer sometime to discuss.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

More
17 years 4 months ago #44966 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Thats a very interesting read Bart, a lot of info in there which I certainly didn't know before. I'd love to sit down with you over a beer sometime to discuss.

Glad you enjoyed it and we'll definitely have to get together for a chat over beer at one of the star parties or some other event we're both at.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.119 seconds