K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 4 months ago #45009 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

I get very grumpy when people suggest IFAS policy be changed to work against AI/A&S, in my view that's missing the point, IFAS should be solely focused on providing members of member clubs with the best possible service, not trying to thwart others.

The current committee has never done this. We have never specifically targeted any IFAS policy toward (or away from) any specific organisation.

IFAS clubs and contributors have often approached AI to publish material in their magazine - these requests have gone unanswered. These requests have been for the benefit of all amateurs nationwide. It is these efforts that have been thwarted.

It can only be assumed that AI want nothing to with IFAS - and I think the reasons are pretty clear. What does it cost you to be a part of these boards? What does it cost to join AI? It is not in AI's interest to 'advertise' IFAS - that is to the detriment of amateur astronomy in ireland. And a shame.

There are many people here who would clearly like to see a thawing of relations - and that has been discussed in recent months both privately and publicly. But that willingness to particpate in some sort of conciliatary talks requires two attendees. IFAS would be happy to participate. All we need now is some kind of gesture or similar from AI to the same effect.

Certainly, all amateur astronomers are welcome here - be they AI members or members of any other persuasion, groups, society, club...

Bart - we all want the same as you - really!

Cheers

Dave

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45030 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

I get very grumpy when people suggest IFAS policy be changed to work against AI/A&S, in my view that's missing the point, IFAS should be solely focused on providing members of member clubs with the best possible service, not trying to thwart others.

The current committee has never done this. We have never specifically targeted any IFAS policy toward (or away from) any specific organization.

Just to clarify, I never said the current committee had passed and anti-AI policies. However, I have sat in IFAS council meetings where people have proposed things be done to work against AI/A&S. Thankfully, none of these proposals or ideas have made it through the IFAS democratic process, at least not any that I am aware of. However, it is the fact that issues are sometimes raised in that way that annoys me. When I hear the words AI/A&S used to justify a proposal I cringe.

All IFAS chairpersons I can remember have always said that we are not here to work against AI/A&S, but rather that we are here to do our own thing. We are not in competition etc.. This is great and long may it continue!

Bart.

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 4 months ago #45032 by albertw
Replied by albertw on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

However, I have sat in IFAS council meetings where people have proposed things be done to work against AI/A&S. Thankfully, none of these proposals or ideas have made it through the IFAS democratic process, at least not any that I am aware of. However, it is the fact that issues are sometimes raised in that way that annoys me.

The benefits of being in an organisation where you actually have a say in how its ran ;-)

When I hear the words AI/A&S used to justify a proposal I cringe.

I don't know... mentioning A&S can sometimes kick people into action ;-)

Albert White MSc FRAS
Chairperson, International Dark Sky Association - Irish Section
www.darksky.ie/

More
17 years 4 months ago #45035 by jhoare
Replied by jhoare on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Which reminds me that David hasn't responded to my questions about the club organisation. I like A&S magazine, which is why I still subscribe, but I have no interest in being a 'member' of a 'club' whose members don't have the right to attend and vote at it's AGM.

The one real cause for concern that has occurred to me as a result of this discussion is whether as a member I assume any liabilities? If I can't get any answers I may have to consider cancelling my subscription.

John

Better that old people should die of talk than to have young people die in war.

More
17 years 4 months ago #45039 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

Just to clarify, I never said the current committee had passed and anti-AI policies.

All IFAS chairpersons I can remember have always said that we are not here to work against AI/A&S, but rather that we are here to do our own thing. We are not in competition etc.. This is great and long may it continue!

Bart.

Bart - fair enough. I guess I was just clarifying that IFAS hasn't, nor will, pass any policy that specifically targets to any individual, organisation or business for 'negative' treatment.

Of course, you're right - thoughts have been expressed in that direction and promptly dismissed. As Al says - its great that IFAS is a democratic organisation that lets folks have their say (free speech) and allows votes on substantive issues.

Whilst we would not pursue any discriminatory policy of any nature, we will not gag members or reps either - they are free to express their feelings and thoughts, whatever they be. Even it makes you a little grumpy :wink:

Cheers

Dave

More
17 years 4 months ago #45058 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: IFAS - A&S/AI

Whilst we would not pursue any discriminatory policy of any nature, we will not gag members or reps either - they are free to express their feelings and thoughts, whatever they be. Even it makes you a little grumpy :wink:

I will defend to the death their right to make me grumpy ;)

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds