Astronomy Ireland charging for events

• fguihen
  • Topic Author
  • Main Sequence
  • Main Sequence
More
17 years 5 months ago #44804 by fguihen
Astronomy Ireland charging for events was created by fguihen
I just recieved an email from astronomy ireland. they are holding an astronomy bbq and are charging for the privilege of attending! €40 for adults, 30 for under 16's. this seems a bit wrong to me as the money goes directly to astronomy ireland, and not to charity. They also mention that the International space station will be visible near saturn this week, but to get an exact time, you have to call their premium rate 1550********* number!!! This seems like exploitation to me!!! am i missing some detail that makes all this ok?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44805 by philiplardner

More
17 years 5 months ago #44807 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
fguihen,
this has been a favourite topic amongst us here in the past! ;) Do a search of these boards and you will see the kind of topics in the last 3 or 4 years that have popped up. Don't forget, Astronomy Ireland is a company, trading under this name (it is really called Astronomy & Space Ltd), so its intention is to make money, just like any other company. This doesn't mean that you will get any less advice and/or service as you would from any of the other astronomy clubs around the country (for free, or a modest membership fee), just that you will pay for the priviledge in some cases with AEye.

By the way, a website to check for the ISS passes (amongst other things - for free), is www.heavens-above.com . You do have to register, but I think it is just for statistical purposes - you'll never receive an e-mail from them again.

Seanie.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 5 months ago #44809 by Matthew C
Replied by Matthew C on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
yes seanie, atronomy ireland are a business! But that doesnt mean they cant give free advise! I GAURANTEE you if you asked Andy Mc CRea for advice on ANYTHING he would be more than happy to! He is in a business(north down telescopes)! Aswell as telescope service! they gave advice to one of our members(IFAS) NOT to buy their own brand!(TS) They recommended a different Eyepiece to suit his setup! SO take a page out of their leaves AI!

Just my two cents!

We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. . . .
T. S. Eliot
A wise man....

More
17 years 5 months ago #44810 by michaeloconnell
Replied by michaeloconnell on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
fguihen,

To put things into perspective...

Each star party that an IFAS club hosts, they charge a cover price. They need to or they won't happen as they have to cover expenses such as guests' flights, meals, accommodation, room rental, tea & coffee, etc. Obviously, if A&S Ltd/AI are hosting an event which involves dishing out food etc, they would need to pay for that food too and charge back at the door.

Whether it's value for money, is up to each person. No doubt some people here will feel it is whilst more feel it isn't. One has to weight up the experience offered vs the entrance fee and judge for oneself. Personally though, from experiences I have heard of it, I would be reluctant to go. But, that would be just my own personal opinion.

Regards,

• DaveGrennan
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
  • IFAS Astronomer of the Year 2010
More
17 years 5 months ago #44812 by DaveGrennan
Replied by DaveGrennan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
fguihen. I got that email too. The email states that the food is provided by a professional caterer. Do you think that the caterer will do that for nothing? Do you think the venue lets AI have it for nothing. Do you think the insurance company who underwrite the event don't want payment?

You also forgot to mention that the email advertised a special rate of €30 for those who book early,. I understand that this is to discourage late bookings so the caterer can be given numbers. Anything that is over goes to supporting the clubs activities. Not a single cent will go to the many volunteers who give up their time. Also nothing goes to A&S Ltd out of this one.

The email clearly lays out what is on offer that night, talks, food, demos etc. People will decide whether they consider it value for money or not. I generally help at these events each year and ytear after year I see many of the same people come back.

If you don't think it is good value for money you don't have to go. To be brutally honest I don't think it is fair for people to come to these boards and adversely paint a picture about ANY organisation without including all of the facts which are available to you at the time of writing. I've been at many IFAS events this year. To be honest most times I didnt pay as a speaker. However I would have been more than happy to (and have done in the past) for the top class events the various societies laid on. Hats off to 'em all.

Live and let live, thats my motto.

Regards and Clear Skies,

Dave.
J41 - Raheny Observatory.
www.webtreatz.com
Equipment List here

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds