K-Tec

Astronomy Ireland charging for events

More
17 years 4 months ago #44969 by Frank Ryan
Replied by Frank Ryan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
You know something?
I had a long response to this issue written and
I just deleted it...

...For fear I might get sued for 'slander' or something!
:)

(so that might give you an idea of the entity we are dealing with)

Lads, it's time to just call a spade a spade. :roll:

My Astrophotography
Shannonside Astronomy Club __________________________________________
Meade ETX-125PE, Bresser 10 x 50 Binos & Me Peepers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 years 4 months ago #44970 by dmcdona
Replied by dmcdona on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Bart - that's a good blog and certainly illuminates in a gentle way, the crux of the matter.

If you read AI emails and look at the website, the conflicts of interests between AI and A&S are clear.

What saddens me is those folks who, like you and others, see this conflict of interest as incompatible and then leave without ever stepping foot in the hobby again. Once bitten... That's a loss to the amateur astronomy community.

Frank, go ahead - call a spade a spade - enlighten us :wink:

Cheers
Dave

More
17 years 4 months ago #44974 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events
Hey Bart, the decades old feud you refer to has only been in existence since Autumn 1992! ;)

There are some 'facts' in your blog you will want to clarify with some veterans in here, just to get them correct.

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 4 months ago #44978 by voyager
Replied by voyager on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

Hey Bart, the decades old feud you refer to has only been in existence since Autumn 1992! ;)

There are some 'facts' in your blog you will want to clarify with some veterans in here, just to get them correct.

You're a veteran, get clarifying!

My Home Page - www.bartbusschots.ie

More
17 years 4 months ago #44980 by Seanie_Morris
Replied by Seanie_Morris on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

When yourself and Dave G are getting together for a pint, give me a shout! ;)

Midlands Astronomy Club.
Radio Presenter (Midlands 103), Space Enthusiast, Astronomy Outreach Co-ordinator.
Former IFAS Chairperson and Secretary.

More
17 years 4 months ago #44982 by stepryan
Replied by stepryan on topic Re: Astronomy Ireland charging for events

bart,
without starting any fights i think you were fair in your assessment. i think most of the problems with astronomy ireland stem down to mr. moores way of doing things, which most people don't agree with. he is the AOL of irish astronomy, offically nothing exists beyond AI as far as he is concerned. If that is the way he wants things that is fine with me. I think the problem is as you said the lack of clarity between the three branches of the tree. i think the problem between some IFAS members and AI is down to not liking Mr. Moore himself. having met some of the people from AI through this board and at Cosmos and some of the other events recently i can say i have no problem with them, they are very enthusiastic amatuers. So long though as Mr moore continues the way he does i will not go near his club/shop/magazine. the real reason mr. moore has no elected committee or constitution i suspect, is from his days in the IAS as the committee and the constitution got in the way of his vision. this i suspect will be his undoing in the end. The constitution is the real reason why the IAS has survived for 70 years as it defines the how the club works, that and the dedication of it's amatuer members to keeping it going. the IAS may not be the fast moving or the flashiest club in ireland but it is most certainly the longest lasting and the grandfather of irish amatuer astronomy.
stephen.

Time to create page: 0.113 seconds